Thread: Hardware components required for HTPC

Hardware components required for HTPC

I would like a HTPC build itself in order to see the HD content with KD on my TV and movies to record. Because my Dreambox is definitely too expensive, I had the sense to a computer or a HTPC build, who has these qualities. Has anyone here done so already experience? What hardware can you recommend? Especially because of the smart card. I own the Smartcard that I've got with Digital Cable +. It would be better for me, if you members suggest some hardware components required for HTPC. I would appreciate some answers.

Re: Hardware components required for HTPC

When starting to build a HTPC is clear that each user has their own needs and possibilities (economic), so the choice of hardware components that make up the system is really mixed. The main thing is Box. This is probably the most crucial component for the other options because of the box we choose will largely depend on the rest of the components. There are boxes for all tastes, and although theoretically you can use a conventional, a good HTPC should be based on a specially designed box for this purpose. The computers can take up very little room - as is called 'Barebones' and those PC brands such as Shuttle, but I did not considered them for my purpose - or be so bulky with a conventional PC. The difference in the case of HTPC cases is that their designs and features can 'disguise' so to resemble a living unit over, not a conventional PC. In my case I decided on a LC16BMR Silverstone (belonging to the series LC16M), a case compatible with standard ATX and features a component layout perfect for my needs. Furthermore, this box includes VFD / IR, ie a display with a built-in infrared sensor to display various types of information and also to control the PC remotely with the included remote control.

The graphics card market has benefited from the efforts of AMD / ATI and NVIDIA for hardware support for video decoding tasks. Technologies Avivo , AMD and NVIDIA PureVideo NVIDIA are the exponents of this effort, as both focus on improving the decoding of video compression codecs and image quality, although its ultimate impact on the outcome remains unclear: many users just do not appreciate the advantages of both offers, and not AMD and NVIDIA seem very willing to clarify the issue beyond advertising that accompanies these cards. In addition to these technologies, for me there were two factors that were fundamental to the choice of graphics card for my HTPC. On the one hand, that had passive cooling - zero noise - and secondly, it was notified of an HDMI output. The latter is not too important because the signal HDMI combines video and audio, graphics currently only provide the video. It is true that the sound card can redirect its output to the graph for the HDMI port does work completely, but the solution is not optimal, and many claim that the pair DVI-S/PDIF meets the needs of any ... but not if you connect your PC directly without adapters to an A / V, as was my case.

It is also true that the new ATI HD2000 family provide this capability, but in my case ATI was not an option when I bought the card because at that time the Linux drivers for these cards was appalling. Fortunately, that situation will change soon - AMD is releasing their GPU specifications to the open source community - but for now NVIDIA solution seemed more consistent with my needs. So my choice was clear, and the answer, the card XFX 7600GS HDMI that has those elements that left me not too expensive (about 90 euros). The HDMI output is very useful if like me you want to connect the PC to the receiver A / V, although in the end I decided not to connect the sound card with the graphics, I think having this output remains a excellent choice, especially considering that the HDMI standard is succeeding in the whole market and all sorts of devices - including projectors and flat screen LCD / Plasma.

A HTPC is by definition a multimedia computer, so I Forget the integrated sound on conventional motherboards, but has some technology support for surround sound (Dolby Digital 5.1 is the most widespread) it is best to invest some more money for specialized sound card. Cards Creative X-Fi is clearly an attractive option, but after searching through many forums I found an option that many people like more: Auzentech X-Plosion , which for 80 euros offers Dolby Digital Live and DTS Digital Surround with up to 7 channels. The card has more things that a conventional user might need - like me - but that gives me room to get more out in the future. And is that the sound card not only provides rich surround sound, but also some audio chips that can offer high fidelity theoretically even used to use this equipment as hi-fi systems in which to enjoy music in stereo. After all, your HTPC will not only see movies but to hear audio as if it had a computer CD player, high-quality, well, obviously your MP3s and other compressed music with codecs, either with or without loss.

The world of microprocessors is one of the most critical points in history, and although I have talked about it in the blog on numerous occasions, the current battle between Intel and AMD does nothing but benefit to users. However, despite whom even now I can only recommend Intel processors, with its new Intel Core 2 micro-architecture has caused its competitor bites the dust again and again with their Athlon X2. In fact, the recent emergence of Barcelona and the new AMD K10 micro-architecture is not expected to do to turn the tables. What is certain is that today you will not need a super-processor to set up a HTPC, but always welcome the presence of a powerful micro if after going to perform video compression operations on the hypothetical recordings you to realize. In any event, the Intel Core 2 Duo are the best choice no doubt - in my expert opinion and although AMD Athlon 64 x2 can meet the claims of either, the power and performance of Intel will do for me the only valid candidate today. Not only for a HTPC, but for any team, something that hurts me especially since I've been practically all my life betting on AMD. So in my case I chose a bus of more modest: an Intel Core 2 Duo 4400 series 'Allendale', a dual-core chip to 2 GHz per core and that gives me everything I need for a really low price . It could have gone for a 6000 short, but I thought - and I confirmed later - in a HTPC again prevail over the power efficiency: a midrange processor allows no recourse to complex refrigeration systems to cool the equipment and maximum noise reduction. In fact, I ended up using the Intel heatsink and fan that came with the mic, and while the dissipated heat is kept in reasonable margins, noise is almost imperceptible from the couch.

The options for motherboard will depend on the type of box that you have chosen. I mentioned that my needs - an expandable system - ruled out choosing a small box format, so really any conventional motherboard ATX serve our purpose. Or rather, anyone who meets our requirements. Here we rely on the processor of choice, and as I have opted for Intel Core 2 Duo (Socket 775) had to find a specific alternative. Here I am afraid that I did not realize any search for a simple reason: I had a plate that I got at work, so I do not complicate life to save me a little of the final cost. Apart from practical considerations, it is obvious that having a motherboard to the latest performance can make interesting. The chipset is the most important section, and although recently have come out of Intel P35 - with DDR3 memory support - I would go now offers more consolidated as the excellent P965 or G965, which have proved their worth in many fields, including that of the gamers. Support for RAID controllers - something that has a questionable value in these teams in my opinion - can also be of interest, but as I said before, forget the onboard sound and SLI / CrossFire, which have no equipment HTPC sense ... unless you please watch television in four different screens at once, of course.