Thread: What size battery backup (UPS) do I need?

What size battery backup (UPS) do I need?

Hi all, I am searching that what amount battery backup will be competent for my computer that has an Antec Earthwatts 500Watt 80% competence PSU. I have had it going on an APC 350watt backup and I also contain an A/C unit inside the same room. It is not plugged inside the battery backup. When I cut unit on otherwise compressor kicks on then I observed that the battery backup will click as well as occasionally it will reason my computer to shut down. I am having a doubt that this is because of electrical sound but I was thinking that if a superior UPS would help out this problem. I tartan price going on a 500W APC backup and it was close to $300 unluckily I do not encompass that sort of money to use on one of those. One other thing that I should tell you that, my computer is essentially the single thing plugged in battery backup side of UPS. Some explanation or proposal would be seriously respected. Thank you.

Re: What size battery backup (UPS) do I need?

I am having the APC Back-UPS XS. I purchased that from the Circuit City on sale. It costs me around $180. There are two systems that are connected with this. There is one more advance thing that is there with it which make it more important that it is having an LCD that displays that how much power is consumed by the system. It is having a very large battery. Even if the power is gone then also it gives me around 20 min battery backup. So I think that this is the best to use and you should also go for this.

My suggestion to you is to use the APC BR800BLK 800 VA 540 Watts 7 Outlets UPS. It is a very nice one that I can suggest you at the time. It is rated 540W and has around 5 minute run time and that is also on the full load. I think that this would be enough for you as you told that you just need this to close the system properly otherwise endure the electrical noise. I hope that this will help you.

I would like to tell you that the issue is not because of the noise. This is happening by the voltage drop that is due to the compressor kicking in. The plunge in voltage reasons the UPS to judge that the efficacy power might go off hence that is resulting to shutting down the computer. I don’t think that if you get the larger UPS the problem will be resolved. I am not 100 percent sure that this is the cause but this is what I think about this case. So you can do anything that you think will be good for you.

I am using the APC backup/surge protectors from more than a few years. I got a nice one from the OfficeMax that is APC Back-UPS ES Device 750VA. I would like to tell you that it will not break and also having the excellent mixture of power backup & surge protection. There are total 10 Outlets out of which 5 are from Battery Back-Up and surge and 5 Surge Only. It is capable of handling two full computers without any problem. You will also get around 5 minutes on both the computers to shut down them if there is any power cut. It also contains know software that helps to shutdown the system if you are not there for a long time and that is one of the best feature that I like about this. It will come around $99. One of my friends got it in $89 at wholesale.

Thank you very much to all of you for your replies. After doing a long research, I came to the conclusion that the APC BR800BLK will be the best option for me and this will fulfill m y needs. Now have decided to go and buy this one and I hope that this will help me. Anyway, thank you very much for your replies.