Thread: Is usb 3.0 compatible with the usb 2.0 front panel connection?

Is usb 3.0 compatible with the usb 2.0 front panel connection?

I need to know this from you all. Well I wanted to know that I have a usb 2.0 connection in my computer. I have heard about the release of usb 3.0. so I wanted to know that can a usb 3.0 be connected to the motherboard which is now connected to the usb 2.0 port. I wanted to know that whether an update is needed for the usb 3.0 connection or can it be directly connected. Since I am very confused regarding this topic. So that’s why I am very eager to know about it. So if possible do reply with your suggestions. I am waiting for your responses.

Re: Is usb 3.0 compatible with the usb 2.0 front panel connection?

I think so it will be compatible with the existing system. I have heard somewhere that it uses the same connector for the connection. Although practically I have not tried it with my existing system. Still I think with my some theoretical knowledge, I think that it should be compatible with the existing system. As I think there are no additional wires or some changes in the compatibility of the device so that it will not fit with the existing system. So it will easily fit with your existing system.

I really don’t think so it can be compatible with the usb 2.0/1.0 devices. Although the usb 3.0 will be backwardly compatible with all the usb devices which are released before them i.e. usb 1 / 2. On doing some research in the internet I have found out that the case receptacle designed for the usb 3.0 devices is not compatible with the other usb devices. It will also have some four additional wires on comparison with the other usb devices to deliver more power. So if you are thinking that you can use the usb 3.0 with the existing system then you are wrong. You will have to do an upgrade of the existing system so that the usb 3.0 will be compatible with the existing system.

Ok I read your suggestions it was very helpful information provided by you. Well I need to thank you for this. I need to know more information about this particular matter. I wanted to know that if I am buying a entirely new system for myself and since the release of the usb 3.0 is also new. So how to make changes or how do we get to know that the usb 3.0 port is connected to the new system. As I am planning to buy a new computer for myself and I want that my system should come with a new usb 3.0 port.

Well I don’t think so you will be able to do the necessary things that you have specified here. Since there is no motherboard available which are compatible with the latest usb 3.0. Also there is no connector available which is required for the usb 3.0 connection. So because all of the above reasons the manufactures have not release any usb 3 products in the market yet. So you will have to wait for the manufacturers to release their version of the motherboards or the cpu’s which would be suitable for the usb 3.0 device. So my advice would be that if you want to buy a new system thinking that it will come with the usb 3.0 devices then don’t go for it as it is better to wait for some time. Hopefully they would be releasing it very soon.