Thread: Strange behavior of middle mouse button

Strange behavior of middle mouse button

I frequently use the middle mouse button to point stick on my Thinkpad for scrolling in web browsers. I have just installed the Linux mint 9 on my computer. My problem is that after installing the Linux mint 9, my mouse started showing be some strange behavior. Many of the times it just stops working. Many of the times it gets clicked automatically. Sometimes it started behaving as back button. Can you tell that what can be the possible reason for that? Please help me and reply as early as possible.

Re: Strange behavior of middle mouse button

You can go through the steps below and see if that can solve the problem for you or not. I did the same when I was getting the same issue and this resolves the problem for me and I wish that this will do the same for you.
    1. First of all open Firefox.
    2. Now in address bar type: about:config.
    3. After that locate line: middlemouse.contentLoadURL.
    4. Finally double click on the line to alter it from true to false.

It is possible that the problem is with the mouse that you are using. You can try to use some other mouse in your system and if that is working fine then the problem is in the mouse and not with the operating system. Once this is confirmed that the problem is with the mouse or the operating system then you can move on to the solution accordingly. If it is with the mouse then it will be better for you to simply change the mouse with a new one. Thank you.,

Check if that is specific to one browser or it is with the entire browser. It is with the other browsers also then there may be some other problem but if that is with some specific browser then the problem is with the problem is with the browser and you need to either change the browser or install te browser again and this will replace all your corrupted files because of which you are getting the issue.

If the driver installed in your computer for the mouse is corrupted or not functioning properly then also you may get the issues like this. So my suggestion to you is to remove the currently installed driver from your computer and install that again. If that is able to solve the problem for you then this is fine but if you found that it is again behaving the same then you can download the latest driver available for this and install that in your system. This will definitely solve the issue if that is related to the driver.

There may be some problem with the USB port that you are using to connect the mouse to computer. You can try to use some different port and see if that can solve the issue for you. Along with this you can try to update the driver for the usb ports also to ensure the problem with the usb ports. The final thing that you can try if nothing helps you is to install the operating system and this will ensure the problem with the operating system.