Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Unable to access files on external drive changed to shortcuts

Hardware Peripherals

Old 17-01-2011

Unable to access files on external drive changed to shortcuts

I am running windows 7 and have an external hard drive of 500 GB. It was working fine but today when I try to open the folders on my external hard drive I observe that folders on my external hard drives to a shortcut and when I click to open it I get cannot access message. Can anyone tell me How do I obtain my folders back . Thanks in advance for your suggestion. Your suggestion would be appreciated.

Old 17-01-2011

Re: Unable to access files on external drive changed to shortcuts

I would like to know some more things so that we can provide any suggestion to your issue. Do you observe the folders on the external drive? What take place at what time you attempt to access these files? Do you obtain any error message? Do you memorize making any alteration to the laptop? Did you make use of these files/folders previously? Please give further information regarding the problem you are facing so that we can look for alternatives.
Old 17-01-2011

I will recommend you to try this. If you are getting any error message which states that the access is denied, obtain permissions to the drive plus make sure if it assist.

a. First of all right click on the external hard drive as well as choose Properties.
b. Now click on the Security tab, choose the username as well as click Edit.
c. After that click Add and type the username that you desire to grant permission and Click OK.
d. After that choose the username you have typed from Group as well as check mark Full Control under Permission for.
e. Click Apply plus OK. Check to make out if the trouble exists.
Old 17-01-2011

I also had the similar trouble, which occur because of the program CIEUHU.EXE. It mainly alter each and every one folders on my external drive to shortcuts, however the drive at a standstill showed that it had information. The solution for this is was comparatively simple for me furthermore I expect it works for you.
1. In the folder option select VIEW/ Show hidden files and folders as well as remove the tick mark from Hide protected operating system files after that click APPLY.
2. After that Go to your external media and it be supposed to display you each and every one your folders hidden counting the virus- Remove the virus as well as all the shortcut folders that have no records in them.
3. Now create a new folder plus copy all the data from hidden folders into them. After transferring data from hidden folders delete them.
4. Press ctrl+alt+del this will open task manager- Discover the applications/ program which are still running which will contain the similar name as the one you presently deleted from drive. Right click on it and select open file location and delete it!
5. 1. In the folder option unselect VIEW/ Show hidden files and folders as well as place the tick mark from Hide protected operating system files after that click APPLY.
6. Reboot the system

This worked for me and I expect it works for you. Good Luck

TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Tags: , , , ,