Thread: Invalid disk geometry

Invalid disk geometry

I have a hard drive that is 500 GB, and it is being read as a 2 TB.I check it using Testdisk and it shows that it is having 264346 cylinders when it is supposed to just have 92301, and altering the geometry in testdisk is simply session base. I use Code: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=16k conv=notrunc as well as I tried the similar through dcfldd, to no advantage. Any time I attempt to make use of mkfs in parted once generating a partition table, it inform me that there is an unrecognized disk tag, so after that I make one within of the alike parted session and attempt once more, furthermore it still states it is an unrecognized disk label. Any thoughts as to what I may be able to perform next? I am preferring to do it my myself.Thanks in advance for any suggestion regarding to this issue.

Re: Invalid disk geometry

I will recommend you to purchase a Pc3000 UDMA – approximately 8000 bucks - after that learn to make use of it. If it is a firmware trouble then 20 to 30 percent- you will be able on the way to fix and obtain data back. Or else it is one or more head deteriorating, it will identify the trouble. If so, through 5'000 or so, you be able to purchase the tools to perform mechanical intrusion with supporter.

I think that it had be a bit further cost efficient on the way to just chalk one equal to data loss and pay money for another one. Probabilities are that I will not be having a trouble similar to this in the close future by means of several drives; as a result it would not be a fine deal for the future moreover.So please recommend any freeware software to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

I have seen several cases where Western Digital external hard drives spot themselves by means of a false 2TB capacity. I think this is the manner the USB-SATA bridge chip performs at what time it is not capable to identify the drive at the back of the bridge. You may possibly discover that the drive perform in a different way at what time connected straightforwardly to a SATA port on your motherboard. It will still be defective, despite the fact that.

It was at first a 500 GB My Book; I cannot bear in mind the correct model number of the whole external drive system. I had pay money for two of them, and at one end, from a generator rip both the area up. I take the hard drives away of both of the area and purchase two new ones. One hard drive functions very well and the other one, which is this one, is on the fault. The drive itself is a Western Digital WD5000AAKS, Western Didital Caviar SE16.

I have in no way observe a My book where the interface made it come into view 2TB whereas the drive was functioning. It is usual performance of this drive sequence (fake ability and no access to information) when damaged or spoiled by some means. Anyhow, as there is no mechanical damage the recovery process is supposed to not be very costly. Not equal to the price of your data.