Thread: Lacie external hard drive is not getting detected in the computer

Lacie external hard drive is not getting detected in the computer

I have a 300GB external Lacie Rugged drive and I have a Mac operating system In the computer. One day I was trying to safely remove the hard drive from the computer but accidentally my firewire 800 got hit and I was forced to suddenly remove it. So I did some necessary changes and accordingly I tried inserting the hard drive again. On inserting the hard drive I got a message from the computer saying that the inserted hard drive cannot be read in the computer. I also tried repairing the disc in he first aid section of disc utility but again it gave me some error message saying that the repair failed. So what can I do next. I wanted to repair it manually as I don’t want to give it to the service center. So any one of you having any solutions then do share it with me.

Re: Lacie external hard drive is not getting detected in the computer

Well let me ask you that whether your bios recognizes the HDD. If it is then try booting your computer with a diskette in the floppy drive and the try to see the result in the command prompt whether the particular drive is recognized or not. If you don’t have the floppy drive then try booting with the cd of the particular operating system that you are using and let me know whether your operating system recognizes the cd or not. So do try with this method and let me know what solution have you got.

Well let me tell you that I have tried with both the solutions and it is still giving me the same message. I have tried booting in the floppy drive and it gives me something A: and does not give any other drive and on selecting the drive it shows invalid driver specification. I have also tried with booting with the Mac operating system cd and again it shows that it does not recognize the HDD. While doing this I have ensured that both of them are set it the boot before the HDD in bios. So this method also did not help me much. Any other solution that you can give that will help me for this purpose.

Even I want to add something here. While doing this ensure that you keep a proper bios boot sequence. Always keep the lan at the end and try to move the hard drive up in the sequence that will definitely help you. Also if possible do disable the booting from the lan. That is a better option because booting from the different websites link is much better than booting it from the cd. Also keep a hard drive lock whenever possible. Again this will also help. So do try with the necessary changes and let me know if it works for you.

I would advise you to try installing the driver for the particular hdd. It may be a possibility that your driver may have got corrupted or it is outdated. So it is better to replace it by a new one. Also ensure that you have kept the plug and play option in the bios enabled. Keeping those particular options disabled can lead your hdd to be undetected by the computer. So enable it if it is kept disabled and then try plugging the hard drive to the computer it might work for you.

I would say that you first have a check with the Logical Disk Manager Administrative service. If this particular service is disabled then that particular drive will get unnoticed by the computer. So what you have to do is try this following steps.
    1) Go to the start menu and then type command prompt in the run command.
    2) Then type the services.msc command
    3) Scroll down and see whether you have the Logical Disk Manager Administrative service and also the logical Disk Manager service.
    4) Right click on each of the services and go to the properties.
    5) Under the properties select the start type and change it to automatic.
    6) Click on start and the two services will get started and your problem will be fixed.
    So do carry with the above solution and do let me know if it works for you.