Thread: Won't boot unless cmos reset everytime!

Won't boot unless cmos reset everytime!

About a week ago, my wife got a blue screen (I never saw it) and the computer crashed. I have not been able to restart the computer since without resetting the cmos jumper every single time.

If I try to start the computer by simply pressing the power button, the fans come on but the boot sequence never begins and not information is shown on my monitor. When I unplug the PSU cable from the PSU and clear the cmos jumper for about 10 seconds before placing back in the proper position, I can then start the computer and it will boot. However, since the cmos time was reset I have to select F1 to enter the BIOS setup or I can press F2 to select default settings.

If I press F2, then Windows 7 will successfully boot. If I press F2, then I enter the BIOS. When I save BIOS settings the computer will attempt to reboot. However, the computer will not boot again unless I clear the cmos by resetting the cmos jumper.

The only way I can get the OS to successfully boot is to reset the cmos jumper every single time.

I've talked with others about this and no one I've talked to have ever come across a problem where the cmos must be reset every time in order for the computer to boot.

I don't know a lot about hardware. Could this be as simple as a low cmos battery? Is this likely a motherboard issue? Has anyone seen this (or a similar) problem before? Any suggestions would be very helpful! Thanks!

Re: Won't boot unless cmos reset everytime!

CMOS is responsible to save your bios settings. Where you choose Hard drive as the first boot device. If the the same is corrupted then you face that issue. For this only the battery is the cause. Try to get a new battery and fix the same on your motherboard. Then go the bios and choose fail safe defaults to get the working bios settings. The bios on very boot due to failed settings try to detect all the hardware's which causes the issue.

I changed the battery and reset the bios settings to the fail safe defaults. The problem however persists. The computer will only boot if I clear the cmos jumper. Once I clear the jumper, I get two options:
    F1 to Run SETUP: If I enter F1 and select the fail safe defaults then save the changes, the computer attempts to reboot but it cannot reboot without clearing the cmos again, which undoes everything I just did.
    F2 to load default values. Windows 7 will boot up, but once I shutdown the computer, it will not reboot unless I clear the cmos jumper again.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

I seem to be having the EXACT same problem after upgrading my CPU. Won't boot unless I clear CMOS and if I (press delete to) go into the BIOS settings and try to save them it restarts and wont POST unless I clear CMOS again. Like OP said resets everything I just changed. Ugh.... So a little bump for some help?

Did you changed the CMOS Battery. I will advise you to change the CMOS battery with the new one as it seems that the battery is unable to run on Voltage so change it and replace the new one. Just replace with the battery that can run on the CPU voltage. So do as i said and see whether this is working for you or not.

Problem Persists after changing the CMOS battery and buying a new more powerful PSU. I really can't figure this out.

samhaienator Guest

I have faced this problem also i had changed cmos battery but problem still same.After that i had changed RAM. now it working but i am not confirmed this is the solution for your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SirtanJedua View Post
    Problem Persists after changing the CMOS battery and buying a new more powerful PSU. I really can't figure this out.
    I think that the problem could be related to anything related to hard drive problem or ram problem or even motherboard issues. What is your computer specifications by the way and which operating system have you installed in your pc? Is your BIOS set to check the memory before it allows the post to finish because if it so then it may find the bad ram stick. Ending the task of the BIOS with a reset should not change that if you do not change the settings. So it must have to do with powering down the whole system rather than resetting the BIOS. It would be my guess that taking all power from the system and letting it sit while you reset the CMOS is long enough to reset the fault in the memory and get past the check on boot up. Running a memory checker like MemTest would confirm your results