Thread: hard drive compatiability issues with T43 thinkpad laptop

hard drive compatiability issues with T43 thinkpad laptop

Okay.

My T43 thinkpad laptop with an IDE interface will not recognize my 320 IDE gb harddrive . I cannot recall the entire message that comes up on my computer screen, but I know the message has 'not related to firmware' sentence within the entire message that pops up on my screen everytime I insert my 320 gb harddrive into my T43 thinkpad laptop. This harddrive was compatible with my former R51 thinkpad laptop. I checked the specs for the T43 ibm thinkpad and other people with T43 thinkpad laptop, some of them have 320 IDE gb hard drives inserted into the harddrive slot of their T43 thinkpad laptop. Should I alter the BIOS settings? I used the covering for my R51 laptop into the harddrive slot of my new T43 harddrive. Does that make a difference about the compatiability of the harddrive with the T43 thinkpad laptop.

Do you think that it has do with my OS that is installed on each harddrive as well? For the harddrive that came with my T43 thinkpad laptop, linux is installed on the 60gb ide harddrive, and windows vista is installed on my 320 gb ide harddrive

Re: hard drive compatiability issues with T43 thinkpad laptop

What is the make or model of the hard drive? ThinkPad T43 systems contain an IDE to Serial ATA bridge that allows IDE hard drives to be used with the Serial ATA controller. This configuration can cause programs to function incorrectly and/or slowly when using a hard drive/firmware version that is not approved by Lenovo. List of approved hard drives/firmware versions can be found here: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...282#harddrives

ITs a 320 gb IDE harddrive with model #WD3200BEVE-00A0HTO manufactured by WD scorpio Blue

Have you tried running the WD Data Lifeguard diagnostic on the drive. You can download the same from here. It will usually test WD internal and external drives. In additional, it can provide you with the model and serial of WD drives attached to the system. Hope that helps