Thread: Computer does not turn on due to Shorting PSU

Computer does not turn on due to Shorting PSU

I am facing a big problem with my friends CPU. So I decided that I must share it with you all. What has happened was that a few days ago I had brought a CPU from my friends home and I was asked to reinstall the xp operating system. So I thought the process may be very simple but it turned to be otherwise. When I started the system it refused to turn on. So I removed the entire cabinet and then I thought I will have to do some repair work. What I observed inside is that the fan is rotating only the half way. While the light of the hdd and the other drives are turning on/off at regular intervals. So what can be the problem here. I think there might be some problem with my psu. How can I get to know whether my psu is working properly or not. Please do answer my queries.

Re: Computer does not turn on due to Shorting PSU

Well the problem can be with your psu. What you can do is to check the voltage of the psu by any of the measurement unit provided to measure the voltage of CPU. However if you cant do that. Then do one thing try removing the drives which you think that is not necessary for you. Once you have removed the drives then try switching on the CPU. It may be a possibility that your system may be drawing more power than it can ask for. Due to which the psu is getting shorted. So just ensure these steps are taken care of and get back to me with the result.

Hey thanks for the suggestion that you have given. Let me tell you that I started by removing all the drives and I switched on my system. I noticed that I was back to the same problem. So that was nothing much that I could have done with it. However I tried connecting my psu with that system and I noticed that it worked perfectly well. So I ruled out the possibility of the error in the motherboard in this problem. The motherboard is working properly. So I have finally decided to advice my friend to get a new psu for the system. Can you suggest some good psu's for the system.

Well I am glad that you have got the root of the problem in your system. Well what I can say is that in your case you are lucky. Your system that you were working with had a psu problem and it did not spoil the hdd. Sometimes in the worst scenario your psu damages your entire system and you have to replace the entire hardware of the CPU. So is you ask me about a good psu for your system. Then I would say go for the Corsair CX 400W PSU, it is a pretty descent psu. Its better not to go for the low priced psu. They may disrupt the functioning of the entire CPU. So hope you have got the necessary information.

Ok I will advice the same for my friend. Well on my part I have done some research work in the internet and in several websites. I found out that there are several such psu’s that work very well with the system. So accordingly I have given the advice to my friend. I think he will follow the same. So thanks a lot for the efforts that you have taken to solve my issue. Lets hope that he gets through his issue also.
    Last edited by PuppETR; 04-01-2011 at 11:49 PM.