Thread: Troubleshooting SATA Hard Drive Backup failure

Troubleshooting SATA Hard Drive Backup failure

With the advancement in technology, I have upgraded my operating system from Windows XP to windows Vista Home Premium. Also I have updated the entire driver and installed Norton Internet Security with the latest update. I want to take the backup of my system. But when I try to take the backup, my backup fails. I need a solution through which I can troubleshoot this problem and take the backup.

Re: Troubleshooting SATA Hard Drive Backup failure

If you want to take the backup of your system and while taking the backup if it fails then there might be software problem because of which you are prevented from taking the backup. There are many new software which can cause the hardware failure. Many a time due to misconfiguration of software result in failure. Modern backup software has a lot of option from which we can choose. If we choose the wrong option then it might cause incomplete backups or backups may fail.

Many a time’s backup failure occurs due to hardware problem. If you are have inserted CD, DVD, tapes etc into the computer system then you might need to remove it before you start to take the backup. If this external hardware are connected into the computer system and you are taking the backup then the backup might fail. Sometimes due to faulty hardware connected into your computer system backup may fail.

You need to check your hard disk before taking the backup. There might be bad sector located on your hard disk because of which the backup may fail. Also if the hard disk is corrupted or not working and you are taking the backup then it may fail. In the case of hard disk failure you may need to contact the manufacturer. The manufacturer will replace the non working hard disk and then you can take the backup.

I wanted to take the backup of my hard disk but whenever I try to take the backup it was failing. Thanks for providing me the solution. From the above given solution it was possible for me to take the backup of my hard disk. I wanted to know if we can identify bad sector in the hard disk. If yes then provide me a solution through which I can fix the bad sector on my hard disk.

Yes you can identify the bad sector on your hard disk. If there is bad sector on your hard disk then you need to follow the steps given below to fix it:
    1. You need to start the system and click on start button from the desktop.
    2. Select my computer and you need to select the drive which you want to diagnose and repair.
    3. Then you need to select properties from the file menu. Select tools tab and the click on Check Now button under Error Checking Status checkbox.
    4. Then you can either select "Thorough" or "Scan for and Attempt Recovery of Bad Sectors" depending on which version of operating system you are using.
    5. Click on start and the bad sector will be fixed easily.