Thread: Information about SSD-OCZ Vertex 2 Pro

Information about SSD-OCZ Vertex 2 Pro

I have recently heard about the new Vertex 2 Pro OCZ. The special feature of the new Vertex 2 Pro OCZ is the first time used SandForce SSD Controller SF-1500. This controls with 16 memory channels, the total of 16 MLC NAND -type Micron to 29F64G08CFABA. Thus, the OCZ Pro 2 offers a capacity of 100 GB. Thought that you members will provide some more information about it. Please provide more detailed information about the Vertex 2 Pro OCZ.

Re: Information about SSD-OCZ Vertex 2 Pro

The sand-force controller of the OCZ 2 Pro no need for an extra cache block and is another way to still achieve a very high write performance in practice. With the technology "DuraWrite" summarizes the write algorithm together in principle, the written data and compresses it before the writing process. According force sand shall not affect the number of write operations compared to conventional SSD controllers by more than half-cut. An external cache stone building to buffer the data is no longer necessary. Without cache is also on specialized SandForce controllers OCZ 2 Pro can not cope. The SF-1500 has been a few megabytes large internal data buffer - details of the size of sand does not force. In addition to improving "DuraWrite" according SandForce other measures the write performance. So shall the Controller of OCZ Vertex 2 Pro check the write operations to optimize redundancy and intelligent and distributed to the individual flash cells. The life of the flash cells will be an eight-fold increase, the overall life of a SSD is increasing so dramatically.

In our performance tests reached the new OCZ 2 maximum per a sequential read rate of high quality 254 MB / s. At a minimum, the read rate drops to a still very high at 243 MByte / sec. In sequential writing the average is at 158 Mbytes / s. Only occasionally reaches the SSD values of high quality 220 MB / s. While this sequential transfer rates, many competing models, trumps the OCZ Vertex 2 Pro at our practice tests. Both reading (121 MByte / s), writing (126 MByte / s) and copying (120 MByte / s) of files of different size, the Vertex 2 Pro is much faster than the competition. Even compared to the enterprise SSD Intel X25-E using SLC NAND percent, the OCZ approximately 18-20 nimble on the road.OCZ offers the Vertex 2 Pro with 50, 100, 200 and 400 GB of capacity as of March 2010 at a price of 180, 350, 700 and 1,500 euros. With the wide availability of the fastest so far tested in our SSD is right to expect from launch.

A few months ago I bought and installed an Intel SSD X25-M G2 160GB. It was the first solid state disk that personally tested and I was very impressed with the results obtained. At the time anyone asks me how to give new life to a computer also has a couple of years, I propose to evaluate the SSD. In terms of response of the machine, a disc with such performance, brings the benefits considerably higher compared to a RAM upgrade or increase the CPU clock. Without some exceptions, the limited cases where it is nevertheless important to add memory or other components (such as the GPU) are of vital importance, I noticed that this argument can be extended to all users, both domestic and professional. There are people for example, that after a year change the MacBook Pro 0.3 Ghz in order to have more than twice the RAM speed and spending more money than would be needed for an SSD, which would undoubtedly improve and immediately tangible results in mundane tasks such as booting the machine or application.

When I took the G2 Intel was definitely the best record in the market, especially for the Mac, where it is not - yet-supported Trim and performance degradation can become a problem. Unfortunately I caught a defective unit and after a few days is totally dead (and here my heartfelt thanks to my Time Capsule is right). Until a few days ago so I worked again with the HDD 5400rpm standard, and not tell you the difficulty I kept waiting to get used rather quickly (and pleasantly) forgotten. The reduced capacity was not a contraindication for me, but rather a deliberate choice. The 160GB was still rather large, as is the 120GB. So I decided to put the old HDD 500GB SuperDrive instead of with the installation of 'MCE OptiBay so as to keep there data more static - and also store the full-bodied iMovie and iPhoto libraries - and let the operating system , applications, and basic data on the SSD.

At the start, the Vertex 2 has amazed me. The computer with the same identical hardware and software configuration, marked a clear improvement on the clock sull'X25 G2-M. The three-step would be to: login (from the boot to the login page), desktop (from login to the appearance of the desktop) and ready (up to full charge of all the app in the background and the menu bar). Everything is ready in 15 seconds, compared to the 24 needed to drive Intel (thus 50% less). Xbench is also pretty sure the disk OCZ is definitely more powerful than Intel, and even awarded him a total score of 320, against 214 of the G2 (again, an advantage of 50%).