Thread: Backup Hard Drive filling up with a vast System Volume Information File but backups are set to manual

Backup Hard Drive filling up with a vast System Volume Information File but backups are set to manual

I noticed that the primary hard drive which came with my laptop was slowly filling up although I was not inserting any novel files to it, at the same time I was functioning Microsoft Windows Vista. I made the Upgrade to Windows 7 and grabbed a novel hard drive to copy all my data over, reformatted the previous one to make use of as backup and Storage of Music and so on. The primary hard drive is currently my backup drive, and the chief hard drive is what I run programs on or setup programs to. My system protection settings are put to manual, and I just have two systems restore files at any specified time. One from while I primarily upgraded, and a novel one at any time I install big program or fix a problem. Yet somehow, the ‘\SytemVolumeInformation’ file on the backup drive persists to produce, and is start to seriously crash the amount of space I have left on the hard drive. Some may not think this to be so awful, but I do music mixing and the backups I have learned to create of the sound libraries I utilize in order to not misuse a day reloading them all are comparatively small in general, apart from that I have quite a few. The total amount of the whole thing on the hard drive apart from the file comes to only above 310 GB, when the novel hard drive has just above 70/320 GB. Normally I would not be anxious about this apart from that the System Volume File keeps raising at a quite alarming rate.

Re: Backup Hard Drive filling up with a vast System Volume Information File but backups are set to manual

I also have the same issue and I discovered this expansion while utilizing Defraggler, and contrasting the logs I had between one week and the subsequently, above the course of a month where I have added not anything to moreover drive, the file has grown considerably superior each day, but not truly in a pattern. It went from 34 GB, which I could appreciate, to approximately 80, which I cannot, over two weeks, and currently one more 20 GB in a week. My Music libraries are not backed up by System Restore, so I cannot feel of them being accountable for this enormous file. If anybody can give details to me why this is occurring, even if there is no way to fix it, I would deeply be grateful for it.

Re: Backup Hard Drive filling up with a vast System Volume Information File but backups are set to manual

If you wish to decrease the figure of needless files on your hard drive to free up disk space and help your computer run quicker, use Disk Cleanup. It completely eliminates temporary files, empties the Recycle Bin, and eliminates a variety of system files and additional items which you no longer require. You may as well remove old restore files, backup files and VSS files and index files.

I attempted running Disk Cleanup like you recommended, on both hard drives. The earliest worked excellent and in fact cleaned off approximately a GB. But while I went to utilize the backup it just had the Recycle Bin existing for 0 KB. I attempted the System Restore and Shadow Copies also, but that did not perform anything on the next one moreover.

So you clicked on the ‘More Options’ tab and clean the System Restore and Shadow Copies? What are your System security settings similar to? Go to Control Panel- System- System Protection. After that just click on the ‘System Protection’ tab. Make certain that System Protection is OFF for your backup drive. Just to make certain, click on ‘Configure’, situate the % to 1%, after that switch the protection on and off once more. You can even click on ‘Delete’ to remove all restore points for that drive. after that click on OK while you are completed. Try that. It really worked for me.