Thread: Case modding to avoid sharp edged holes for cable management

Case modding to avoid sharp edged holes for cable management

I have some irritation with bunch of cables in my CPU case so I decided to make a good cable management using some tool. To cut holes in motherboard try I used dremel. I got sharp edges after cutting the case and I assumed that these edges may cause cables. So to deal with this issue I came to 2 conclusions. One is Sand/file down bumpy edges of the gaps shield cables. And the second one is Use rubber trim or grommet or molding to stripe the interior perimeter of the holes. I realized that the option 2 is better but I there is problem. The motherboard plate material is about 1/32" (1mm thick). If I use moldings, those are probably too broad on their internal perimeter. So right now I am out of solution and I don’t know how to continue. Should I contact the local hardware for this issue or do you have any good suggestion about this?

Re: Case modding to avoid sharp edged holes for cable management

I think that the option 2 is a best and achievable option for your issue. I have also used the case mods and channel molding. I bought a good one for my case. There is no problem with the molding, it is stretchy and it will extend and fit properly. You can use either a small screw driver or thin knife to stretch release the channel at one last part to get a hold it started. The rest of the work can simply continue with your own fingers, you don’t need to add extra effort for this. The molding will stay for a long time.

The sharp edges are not good for those thin cables inside the case. For this you can use super glue or some other kind of glue which will enclose those sharp edges. Otherwise you can use some alternative method to patch up or seal the perimeter of the hole. The other method is to file them nicely and use some black polyurethane tube. Buy a specific size tube and cut 1 side so that you can attach then nicely over the hole edge.

Another low-cost unconventional choice is Velcro. I hope that you have some Velcro lying around. The spongy part of the velcro with the glue side can be wrapped around the filed edges. Without the filed edges the Velcro also going to damage. It works some time but it is better than the duct tape. You may use double sided gum tape to attach any other material to avoid sharp perimeter.

My best option is to use Black Trim Molding. Tidy molding is a vast method to streak cut pane metal in the region of fan holes and windowpane holes.
    • Stretchy C Trim shaping with proficient eminence black luster or chrome end.
    • Outstanding to line slash pane metal for casement openings, fan holes.
    • The trim molding will provide accommodation for up to 1/8" breadth.
    • Trim thickness: 1/4" wide
    • Interior is lined with glue to firmly attach the trim to the metal pane.
    • Square corners should be cut before molding