Thread: eSATA Hot-Swap?

eSATA Hot-Swap?

I want to make use of the 150MB/sec SATA drive in an eSATA enclosure. I want to do this so that I can plug and unplug this devoid of turning off my computer. There is some contradictory information that this can be only done with SATA II drives or SATA II capable motherboards. Basically what I want to do is to make use of the external drive for backups utilizing.I am not able to find the clear answer for this anywhere so I am leaving the question over here in the hope that I can get the answer from here.
    Here are the specification for my computer hardware:
    • Abit IS7-G Mobo
    • WD Raptor WD740GD HD
    • AKASA P2 3.5" E-SATA SATA/IDE Encl.

Re: eSATA Hot-Swap?

I don’t think that there is anything like "SATA I" or "SATA II". SATA is the standard where a lot of parts of it can be selectively put into operation from the hard drive or controller manufacturer. It is up to the manufacturer that whether they want to use the 150MB/sec or 300MB/sec transfer rate. They can also use either NCQ, hot swap, or eSATA

There are two SATA hard drive out of three in the external enclosures are hot swappable with the e-SATA port on my Asus PW5 DH Deluxe motherboard. There is the port for it which is provided by the JMICRON JMB363 controller. It cannot detect the Samsung HD103UK hard drive till I reboot the system. There is no problem when I hot swapped this with the help of USB connection. After that it shows me the message that "can be safely removed".

I would like to tell you that all the SATA devices support hotplugging. Though, appropriate hotplug hold up needs the device to be run in its native command mode and not in the IDE emulation. This needs AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface). Many of the initial SATA host adapters was not competent of this and in addition some old operating systems like Windows XP do not support AHCI directly. As the drivers which are included in the Windows XP dont provide the support for AHCI, AHCI. This can be made into use with the help of proprietary device drivers.

I found on internet that Serial SATA hot swap aspect can function simply through controllers which are basing on Silicon Image chip set which is from the in house testing. The controllers which are not the Silicon Image based will not supported by the hot swap.You may think of adding one Addonics Serial SATA host controllers to the systems to make sure the hot swap ability. New controllers which are from Intel as well as additional suppliers could lastly hold this feature. You should confirm by means of your controller manufacturer if you require using hot swap for your application. Hot swap is only supported in Windows 2000 and XP. On new Operating System, you can remove drive devoid of crashing system. But changing with a dissimilar drive can consequence for crashing the Operating System.