Thread: Hard drive connected through pci slot is reading data very slow

Hard drive connected through pci slot is reading data very slow

I have got a desktop system , I have a dual core processor of intel and 2 GB of RAM , and the RAM stick is mounted on the RAM slot in the chipset motherboard , but I have connected one of my hard drive through a PCI card and I have connected it with a SATA connector . But the issue is it is reading the data very slow and I am feeling it very inconvenient to use it. Please give me a valid suggestion .

Re: Hard drive connected through pci slot is reading data very slow

You should remove it from the PCI connector and use it as n external hard drive. You can enclose it in an enclosure and remove and that enclosure you can attach it with a a USB drive, this enclosure is available in different brands and varies in cost as well . It will act as a portable drive , so you can work it as a portable hard disk. In case if you find any sort of difficulty please revert back .

Ensure that the drive is not running in a mode which is called as PIO mode , it should not run as DMA mode. I think the main reason for the slow performance is that the bus you are using is a PCi bus , if you are not aware it is a shared bus , since it is a shared bus its resources will be shared by different devices so I think it is the main reason for the slow performance. If that hard drive is optional I would recommend you to remove it from the PCI slot.

When you had said that 1-2mb/s is that a hard disk standard similar to HDTune? I do not think it that you will get different speed while reading or copying any content from or into the hard drive If you are copying many tiny files, arbitrary read on most hard drives do not exceed 1-2mb/s . But it mostly depends on the size of the file you are attempting to read and copy .