Thread: Need a USB Bridge to make laptop act as a USB hard drive for the desktop

Need a USB Bridge to make laptop act as a USB hard drive for the desktop

I have got a laptop system of Compaq, my friend has got a Dell desktop system , we have a project in hand and I want all the contents stored in my laptop into his desktop , is there any way so that I can make my laptop to act as an external hard drive to his desktop system , is there any USB bridge which I can use it do the same task . I do not want to use any pen drive or cd to do this as the data content is of very large size .

Re: Need a USB Bridge to make laptop act as a USB hard drive for the desktop

Well first of all I should appreciate your innovative thinking , I too started thinking on it and if you ask me I do not think there is any way to make your desktop think and make it fool to recognize your laptop as your hard drive so but if you wan your content to be copied then you can use a LAN cable if you do not wish to use any pen drive or cd.

Connect the desktop and laptop with a USB cable, there you will be able to locate the drives under the name "Network Neighborhood" , there you can map the drives . Yes it is possible to connect two systems this way If you are thinking that it will require any sort of adapter to do this task then you are incorrect . But incase if you find any sort of difficulty then please revert back .

You would suggest you an easier way , why do you want your laptop to be used as a hard drive ? Instead of going USB cable you can use the ethernet crossover cable, it will not only pacify your task and finish it in small time and also the networking is quite easy as well . THen you can manually map the drives i.e give name as alphabets as to the the disks of the hard drive.