Thread: Unable to connect a Blu Ray player to the network using a netgear user ?

Unable to connect a Blu Ray player to the network using a netgear user ?

I have got a desktop system and have a intel quad core processor installed in my system, along with it I have got 4GB of 3DDR RAM installed on my chipset motherboard . I have got a Blu ray player as well which I had bought recently , it had a 2.0 support. The problem is that I cannot connect it to the Internet. It want to use it in my in the bed room where I do not have a network jack on hand close by. For that reason, I either will; have to carry a long cable over into my living room area where I have got an Netgear router that I can plug into or either opt for some wireless solution. I am not able to get rid of these gateway issues as the player says it is not connected to the router . I tried having the unit detect all the necessary numbers mechanically but it did not work so I punched the necessary IP address, also entered subnet mask and DNS numbers from my network preferences on the machine. The player, when I give a try to the network test, it says that the gateway ping has not passed.Well I think carrying such a big wire will be a pointless think so I am rather choosing a wireless set up but do not have any idea how I can do it . So for this reason I have posted my question in this forum how will be able to access my Blu ray remotely , I am ready to spend but do not want unwanted mess of wires , so I have posted my query over here , I would be so glad if I get solution for this issue. I will be very grateful . Waiting for your response.

Re: Unable to connect a Blu Ray player to the network using a netgear user ?

The player you are looking for is from Sony , which has a USB port but that will be required for a flash stick / BD Live support. So even if it was obtainable, I do not think a wireless adapter will fit and work there anyhow. The only other alternative that strikes my mind is buying a new Access point and then connect it to the Blu Ray player and then you can set up a bridge over to the living room area access point .

Assuming that the Blu-Ray unit you are viewing at has an ethernet port, and your present wireless access point renders a good enough signal to the anticipated Blu-Ray location, all you require is a 'Wireless Bridge'. Sometime this is also called as 'Wireless Gaming Adapters'. Once you get this adapter you will be able to connect the blu ray disc player to your wireless setup .

People who are using DirecTV DVRs are having this same issue - the device has an ethernet port, but is not placed near a location that is easy or suitable to get a wired connection. Settings in the Netgear router are quite different - other manufacturers make related items, and "draft-N" devices are also obtainable now. So you can search in the internet for this kind of draft N devices and see whether you find the exact solution .

I can also contact ISP service provicer for firther assistance. But if you call the Netgear support you will have to wait for at least 30 minutes or more and suppose if you land in a wrong queue you will be transferred again. If your router is running under warranty they will support you without charging you but if your router is running out of warranty then they will support you without charging you All you require is the gateway number and you can enter it into settings of the Blu-ray player. Give a call over there and let me know what they say.

I know it is achievable with the netgear router - but IIRC you require 3rd party firmware. If you're tending that way, it will be inexpensive choice.The wireless bridges or gaming adapters about which the was being talked about are a lot easier. If you know what you are doing, even with a substandard network setup for example you are using 192.167.2.x in any private network you can make it up and running in less than 20 minutes or so.