Thread: Can copy and read the new files but cannot read or delete old contents in the hard drive

Can copy and read the new files but cannot read or delete old contents in the hard drive

I have got a desktop computer. I have Windows xp professional edition installed in my system . I have 320 GB of hard drives and I have 4 volumes of hard drives each having 80 GB of capacity . My partition drive is C: drive i.e I have installed my Windows xp operating system in my C: drive , but I cannot have any access on my rest of the drives so I need your support for that , it will be very helpful if you provide me help , I cannot even access it and can neither delete it. So if any one has any idea on how I can have access the contents and make necessary modifications on it. I checked all my troubleshooting steps that were under my scope but could not reach closer to the solution.

Re: Can copy and read the new files but cannot read or delete old contents in the hard drive

I think this issue is happening because of the ownership issues. It seems you are not the authorized owner of the disk drives and its contents, only administrator possesses such rights. So if you are not the owner , please do not try to open it. The administrator would have made such settings and is barring you from accessing the contents of the disk. So you need to have the privilege from the administrator.

Re: Can copy and read the new files but cannot read or delete old contents in the hard drive

You must possess the ownership of a file which is protected if you want to access it . If an additional user has controlled access and you are the computer administrator, you can access the contents by taking rights.

To have the rights on the file contents:
    • You will have to right-click on the file that you want to access and be the owner of it
    • Click on the properties option , where you will be able to locate a tabbed named as Security , select it. T go to the owners tab you will have to click on advanced
    • From the list of given users select the Administrator.

Go to the command prompt after typing the cmd command in then Run or else you can also open the DOS prompt . There you can type the command attrib *.* and can make necessary changes based on the following Attribute the attributes as R, A, S and H where R stands for Read-only ,A stands for Archive , S stands for System and H stands for Hidden, so accordingly you can set the attributes of the file content.