Thread: cannot access hard drive after mounting it to the external hard drive enclosure

cannot access hard drive after mounting it to the external hard drive enclosure

I have got a Dell laptop system, I have been assembling my own systems since many years now and I regularly do my own technical support work but at this occasion there is some strange issue . My laptop is encountering a BSOD error but , but that is not the issue as Will solve it myself. The issue is that when I had got an old hard drive , which I tried to convert it into a external hard drive , so in order to convert that I put it in to the external drive enclosure and then I connected it to my system. This lead to the no boot issue and now I cannot do anything. Now I cannot access my F : drive, any attempt made to access it shows an error.
    Last edited by Riley01; 14-12-2010 at 03:31 AM.

Re: cannot access hard drive after mounting it to the external hard drive enclosure

Well I think you are well aware all those hardware and its components being used, that is why you were able to manage and convert the internal Hard drive ,but did you check the enclosure or nor not. I think it is the enclosure that is the root cause of the problem . But you did not mention does it shows any type of error when you try to access it, please mention the exact error you get on your display when you double click on the F: drive you were talking about. So please reply in the next post so that I can help you in better manner.

Re: cannot access hard drive after mounting it to the external hard drive enclosure

Its seems a strange issue. How much old is the had drive ? It seems to me that after connecting it to the enclosure the content of your hard drive got corrupted. So what you can do is you can try to connect it to some desktop and check it. You can ask any of you friend to open his Chassis and remove his hard drive and put yours in it. The damage might have been done in during the transferring it to the enclosure. For future help please do not remove the cover of the hard drive , because by doing so , the hard drive becomes corrupted and becomes useless.

Well no issues if you are getting any such error , but your biggest advantage is that you are having a Dell system , as you said that your system is 2 years old . So it seems that you might have extended the warranty for another two to three years . You can call the Dell technical support and they have some experts working with all these types of issues , but if you are not having the warrant y support then they will charge you some 60 dollars or something for just diagnosing the issue and no resolution guaranteed.

Yes I had tried a bit of troubleshooting myself , I was using the enclosure (NexStar USB 2.0), I cannot have the access on it , after connecting it showed up as F: dive but cannot access the F: drive . Yes it showed am error as Error Performing Inpage Operation. I have gone through many types of errors , but have encountered such error for the first time in my life. I have very much expectations from this forums as it comes it with some higher standard. So I expect and hope that my issue will be resolved soon.