Thread: Matrix Storage Manager: Upgrade Hard drive

Matrix Storage Manager: Upgrade Hard drive

I contain a Dell Precision 390 with Intel “Matrix Storage Manager” and search 1 pattern with 2, 300 GB drives. I would like to put back these 2 drives with 1 Terabyte drives. Can somebody assist me with the steps essential to complete this procedure? I could not discover any certification or documentation in the manual.

Re: Matrix Storage Manager: Upgrade Hard drive

There is no straight way to upgrade both your hard drives, but you should able to perform it in a roundabout way using the lower steps.
    1. Attach one of the 1 TB hard drives and blot it as a spare for the RAID 1 volume.
    2. Eliminate an existing 300 GB hard drive. Your volume should go degraded and a reconstruct to the spare drive should start automatically.
    3. One time the reconstruct is complete and the volume is regular again, attach the left over 1 TB hard drive and mark it as a spare.
    4. Eliminate the left over 300 GB hard drives. Your volume should go degraded and a reconstruct to the spare drive should start automatically. While the reconstruct completes, you should be remain with a RAID 1 volume which utilizes both of the 1 TB hard drives, but has the similar volume capacity as it did initially.

There is a possibility that the controller won't provide you the left over 700 GB as free space. Always keep in mind, you just created a 300GB volume on the two HDD earlier, even if you reconstruct two times, the unique configuration was a 300 GB volume. If you do handle to make a novel volume, the operating system will observe this as another independent HDD so you won't be able to enlarge the volume with a partition manager. I have completed same things by means of software for instance ghost. It shaped an image for me and after that was able to rewrite the similar image but on a better novel volume. This RAID expansion is usually a feature of Hardware RAID controllers..

Later than the primary rebuild, I would be left with a 1 TB drive with a 300 MB volume and RAID 1 would be functioning degraded. I was going to reboot not into the operating system, but quite to a Linux CD and enlarge the partition from 300 MB to 1 TB, after that reboot into the operating system. Will the Intel Matrix Storage Manager not be familiar with the drive as containing a 1 TB partition or volume? Or am I confusion partition with volume while talking regarding RAID 1?

Sometimes it can be puzzling as RAID and volume can be interchanged sometimes. So you contain a RAID 1. You initially had 600 GB of RAW space between the two HDD and in that space you utilized 300 GB of every drive to make a RAID 1. But let’s say that you did not want to make use of the whole space for RAID 1. You could have utilized 150 GB of every drive to make a 150 GB RAID 1 and still contain space remain, and then you could have shaped another RAID 1 of 150 GB. Or you even could have created a RAID 0 with 300 GB with the left over space. That is one of the causes why it is called Matrix RAID. Every one of these RAID are seen as a completely novel HDD in the operating system. While you complete all the upgrading you will have two 1 TB drives but 300 GB on every drives for the unique RAID 1. I don't think that matrix RAID has the alternative to enlarge that. I am fairly sure that you will be able to make a novel RAID volume but that will be seen as a dissimilar disk in the operating system and you won't be able to enlarge the unique 300 GB in the other volume you shaped.