Thread: Removing write protected from USB flash drive

Removing write protected from USB flash drive

For transferring data from one system to another system is very easy because of USB drive. I am having a Kingston pen drive of 4GB. It has been write protected. Due to the write protected I cannot store any new data into it. I want the write protected should be removed from my software. I need a solution describing the steps to remove the write protect on my Kingston so that I can add new data.

Re: Removing write protected from USB flash drive

To remove the write protection from the pen drive you need to follow the steps given below:
    1. You need to start the system and insert the USB flash drive into the system.
    2. Open my computer and search for the USB flash drive that you have inserted.
    3. Right click on the name of the USB flash drive and select properties. In the properties window you need to find the tab from where you can remove write protection.
    4. Click on the check box next to the write protection to disable it.
    5. Click on the ok button and the write protection have been removed.

You can also download and install write protection software remover from the manufacturer website by selecting your USB drive. After downloading the write protection software remover you need to install it on the system. After installing double click on it to open. Search for the options tab and click on the checkbox next to Remove Write Protection to unlock the USB drive.

Thanks for providing me the solution. From the above given solution I have downloaded write protection software remover and my pen drive has been unlocked. I am also having Mini SD Memory Card in which I have stored all the music files and the Mini SD Memory Card is used in mobile phone, digital camera etc. The Mini SD Memory Card is write protected and I want to remove write protection. Is there any software available for removing write protection on Mini SD Memory Card. I need a solution describing the steps to remove write protection from Mini SD Memory Card.

You can remove the write protection from Mini SD Memory Card very easily. To remove write protection you need to slide up the switch. The name of the switch is given as lock. Slide the switch down to the locked position. If the memory card is plugged into the card reader, you will get a message cannot copy files into memory card. You need to tape it down so that it doesn’t moves. A small piece over the switch can hold it and the memory card is not write protected.

There is also a tool called HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool that allows you to format a USB key or MP4 READER. It also allows to make a USB Drive bootable. Incase if you are using WindowsVista then to make this utility work under it, you just need to right click on the usb drive and then to choose Ownership> Compatibility.

I found two similar threads based on this issue, and I think you can read them to get rid solution. There are number of options mentioned in this thread by which you can get rid of write protected error. This error is due to Windows permission policies. This are set when a usb is inserted in a single pc and it does not allow the usb to overwrite content on different pcs. Simply modify the registry as per mentioned below and then check again.

Those write protection removal software are useless. They do not really help much. Only thing that worked for me is registry hack. You need to do that a number of time and if nothing happens just format it. I did that from Disk Managment. Right click on My Computer > Manage > Choose the usb drive in that > right click Delete. Then right click Create new Volume, assign a drive name and format it.