Thread: Oil leaking from Cooling Fan

Oil leaking from Cooling Fan

Few days ago My system was having some problem with the motherboard due to which I had to get the new motherboard on my machine. It was working without any issue. Today I just opened my CPU and then checked an environment inside the tower case. I noticed that there was something like oil leaked from the Cooling Fan. Does anybody has any idea that from where this oil has came and it if it is a part of fan then why its leaking?

Re: Oil leaking from Cooling Fan

It could be the lubricant filled in your machine's cooling fan which might be leaking. I suggest you to check about the same by detaching the fan from the CPU case and check that leakage is marks has been came from the fan itself. Actually it would be hard to catch that oil have really came from the fan or some other source is there. It seems to be FAN to me but still you may check it.

I guess you have to get the new cooling fan for your system as once the lubricant of your fan gets leaked then it won't be able to keep your machine cool as there is no substance which keeps generates the cold environment when it is needed. So now your fan would be just blowing an air and nothing else. And suppose if your CPU does not have an enough space for air to flow easily from the heat sink which will result in the overheating and as your fan won't be able to keep it cool, Your OS will get crashed.

I suggest you to replace the cooling fan on your machine as once it starts leaking then it might make some other hardware useless as well. And even after some time, you have to install the new fan on it when it will just stop working at all. So why not to change it bit earlier as it would be better for other hardware peripherals of your machine. Make sure that oil is not getting inside any other hardware.