Thread: Installing Pioneer DVR-A18L on Mac OS X

Installing Pioneer DVR-A18L on Mac OS X

I've presently installed a newest Pioneer DVR-A18L unit in my Apple PowerMac G5 Dual 2 GHz desktop on which I have installed Mac OS x 10.5.7. I think I made a mistake after installing the new pioneer unit. When I rebooted my system and as soon as I launched Toast (v9), and checked first DVD burn then it showed me Kernel panic screen while burning. YOU NEED TO RESTART YOUR MAC! I have tried the same thing many times but got the same result every time. What could be the problem here?

Re: Installing Pioneer DVR-A18L on Mac OS X

I had a similar problem on my Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 but guys, I have solved it. I hope the same solution will be working for you as well. In fact the problem was with the Jmicron driver which you have to remove it from the /System/Library/Extensions and then connect SATA-HDD to the ICH9 Ports (the orange one). Then I check copying the DVD from Toast which didn’t showed me any problem and even DVD burning completed as well without any issues.

The errors that we had unfortunately used to meet quite often in OS 9 and earlier (the famous "bus error", "Type 2 errors, type 11" ... are now part of the past! And so much the better. .... but they are replaced by kernel panic in OS X! However, these "Kernel Panic" are (at least that's how they should be) extremely rare in OS X. What happens there when a kernel panic occurs? The computer is paralyzed: the kernel panic "without hiding ... In short he loses the north and can no longer continue its role. The phenomenon of "kernel panic" is well known in the Unix world. It may be due to a programming error in the kernel ("kernel", true heart of the system). Often, the "kernel panic" because a foreign element will disrupt the area of memory that the kernel uses, exploiting a loophole inadvertently left open by programmers. A kernel panic is a fatal error the system and the only solution is to reboot the computer!

From experience, the main causes of "Kernel Panic" is what I have mentioned below.
    Terminal RAM defective or poor quality: Often, to earn two francs six sous, a search on the Internet or I do not know where the RAM sticks cheaply as possible, but often at the expense of quality! A barrette out of specification or faulty Apple may be the cause of "Kernel Panic" repeatedly. Always buy RAM compatible Apple Certified! It is not necessarily more expensive than others. To check the status of your strips of RAM, you can use "Drive Genius", "Check-Up", "TechTool Pro" or "TechTool Deluxe" offering testing RAM. "TechTool Deluxe" (not to be confused with "TechTool Pro) is an application that is provided by Apple under Apple Care.

There may also be that the OS X itself that is too damaged (for various reasons, more or less independently by you): dint want to play sorcerer's apprentice on OS X for example ... . Avoid particularly to login as "root" to hack into your system, and also to avoid moving or renaming folders "System" or "Library" for example ... Do not touch the folder "system". If you think your "Kernel Panic" is due to a system problem, here's how to solve the problem:
    • If you recently changed a file system, reinstall Mac OS X.
    • If you know of have moved or renamed a file or file system in Mac OS X, you must reinstall Mac OS X. Merely replace the element is not sufficient in this case.
    • If you have modified any file, folder or the Mac OS X, try the following:

1) Restart your computer. Most of the time, a "kernel panic" corresponding to an isolated event, just reboot.
    2) If the computer does not restart, restart the computer by pressing the "X" button. And you force the computer to start using your Mac OS X.
    If the computer starts, release the "X". Go to "System Preferences" then "Start". Make sure the OS X volume is selected.
    3) If you cannot start with the "X", and reboot holding down the Option (alt). When icons begin to appear in the center of the screen, release the "Option" key. Select the OS X volume and click the forward arrow to continue starting.
    4) Reset the PRAM.
    5)If these attempts were unsuccessful, turn off your computer and restart it by holding down the Command (Apple) + Option (alt) + P + R. When you hear the startup sound for the second time, release the buttons.
    6)Go to "System Preferences" then "Start". Make sure the OS X volume is selected.

Important: Resetting the memory PRAM may change some system settings and preferences. Then use System Preferences to restore your settings.