Thread: Windows 7 does not recognise network printer on Windows XP - Canon PIXMA IP5000

Windows 7 does not recognise network printer on Windows XP - Canon PIXMA IP5000

Hi,

I have a new Windows 7 laptop which is connected via network to a Windows XP desktop. My Canon PIXMA IP5000 is physically connected to the Windows XP machine.

Windows 7 cannot find a driver for the IP5000 on the Windows XP machine. I presume this has to do with 64-bit and 32-bit drivers. I have installed the 64-bit driver locally on the Windows 7 machine, but don't know how to get it working via the network.

I read that I need to install he Windows 7 64-bit driver on the Windows XP machine, but all the driver sites I visit do not offer a straight up IP5000 Windows 7 driver - they are all add-ons, modules, utilities, etc. How can I install a .inf driver file on the Windows XP machine, so my laptop can print via the network?

Any other solutions that you can think of?

Thanks,
    Wizard247

Re: Windows 7 does not recognise network printer on Windows XP - Canon PIXMA IP5000

First of all I will recommend you to run the rinter troubleshooter to fix the problem, below are the steps:

Open the Printer troubleshooter by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under Hardware and Sound, click Use a printer.

After that uninstall the current version of the printer driver from your pc and then download the latest drivers from the below website and install it in your pc:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...ersAndSoftware

Select the OS version from the link above and accordingly download the driver in your computer. Also if the printer is connected to USB port then I suggest you try connecting to a different port and check if it helps.

Re: Windows 7 does not recognise network printer on Windows XP - Canon PIXMA IP5000

Just thought I'd pop in and mention that I had this exact same problem and managed to sort it via the method below.

Hi there
    I've posted on this before but to share Printers attached to XP computers with either X-64 or X-32 versions of Windows 7 is SIMPLE. These instructions are for the Printer attached to the XP machine (but works in reverse as well).

("Stand alone" Network printers can be done slightly similarly BTW).

assume the computers are call XPMACHINE and W7MACHINE.

1) Ensure Printer on XP machine is shared - assume it's called SHAREDPRINTER.

2) On the Network Browsing on your Windows 7 machine ensure you can "See" the Printer share.

Now on the Windows 7 machine do the following (doesn't matter if it's X-86 or x-64).

3) Control Panel==> add LOCAL (Yes LOCAL) printer. I know it's on a Network but hold your horses -- what we are actually doing is "Poodlefaking" the Windows 7 machine into thinking it's running the printer.

4) Create NEW port==>Local port

5) Portname is \\XPMACHINE\SHAREDPRINTER

6) Now Windows 7 will load a driver and you'll be able to print on the XP machine.

Simple

(For a "Network stand alone printer") at 4) chose TCPIP port
    and at 5) enter the IP address.

If the printer is on the Windows 7 machine and you want to print on the XP machine then do the same instructions on the XP machine --
    port name in this case will be \\W7MACHINE\SHAREDPRINTER

Cheers
    jimbo

Thanks for re-posting this Kaminsky! I have been having the exact same problem, and would never have thought to try adding the iP5000 as a "local" printer! Worked like a charm!
    axabum