Thread: Converting 4 pins fan power adapter to 3 pins.

Converting 4 pins fan power adapter to 3 pins.

I purchased my new pc last month and it seems that it is getting warm pretty quickly within 1 hour and so. I need to setup a coolant fan in my computer. I am preparing to install a fan speed controller in the front of my cabinet case in one of the 5.25 slots. The fan controller only acquires 3 pin fan connectors; however 2 of my fans are having 4 pin mole connectors. Is there a cheap and simple way to change a 4 pin Molex to a 3 pin fan connector with no step losing voltage?

Re: Converting 4 pins fan power adapter to 3 pins.

I think it easy to change the 4pins connector to 3 pins connectors. You can either presently buy Molex of 3 pins connection adapters or you can remove the Molex connectors and establish 3pin connectors to the fan wires. Though the wires which you are trying to established is quite easy to install. It also loses less power voltage through the connector so there is no breakdown of voltage on your pc.

My fan has an extension i.e. it has female as well as male wire connection in the adapter and hence it has to be spliced. Though, if I were you, and I had no this particular adapter, I would somewhat keep away from having to unsheathe a brand new power supply wires. As an alternative, I would plug the 3 fan wires directly into the 4 Molex holes. The disadvantage is you may require 3 separate Molex plugs, which only remains 1 for your IDE component (s). With a few luck though, maybe you cannot fit 2 sets of fan wires to 1 single Molex because you require 3 pins connector.

Eventually i was not going to separate any wires from the power supply i.e. SPMS, I was merely going to create my own Molex cable with 3x Molex 3pin sockets, and cut the 4 pin plugs off the fans, and easily wire the power and ground into the Molex plugs. Then I can plug one tip of my adapter into a Molex off the power supply and run the3x newly molexed fans off my cable. The only thing is i will lose speed control earlier, and then they will run full speed forever.