Thread: Can heat sink scratch raise temperature quickly

Can heat sink scratch raise temperature quickly

I was wondering that can single scratch in the heat sink cause a temperature raising speed in the hardwares. Actually few months ago something went wrong while changing the thermal paste. But still according to me, Heat sink is lot better then it was earlier. But I guess there would be some scratch, Though I am not so sure but there could be. Now I have a doubt that does that scratch will spoil temp of my system?

Re: Can heat sink scratch raise temperature quickly

I guess couple of small scratches on the heat sink won't be responsible or temperature hike in the cpu. I suggest you to check that is there enough space from your system's heat sink which must be wide an open. I recommend you to speed the up the cooling fan of your machine which may help you to resolve this issue. Make sure that your machine has proper power supply which is very much needed on any gaming machine. I hope you are not having a weak cooling system on gaming system.

I would like to ask you that by using which tool you have measured the temperatures of your machine as there won't be any assurance the temp measured by that tool is the right temp of your machine. I suggest you to install some other tool which also provides the same functionality to check the difference between the results of both the softwares. So you must not totally depend on the results show by third party applications as each application has their different criteria to measure the temps. But make sure that your CPU tower has enough open space to let heat come out of your machine.

If the scratch about which you are talking here on your heat sink is really considerable as it might be bit broad due to which some of the heat might be leaking from the space where it should not be. I suggest you to check the temp of an adjacent hardware as compare to the other surrounding hardware as if an adjacent hardware is much more heated then others then I guess you need block that leakage from the heat sink scratch.

You have two possibilities, either you put an electrical insulator between the chip and the heatsink to cool, in this case the two markers is not a problem, the limit is best to put the tracks in the ground there and to be welded to itself is secure . Now if you do not insulate you must look at how the metallic plate to the back of your component is linked and connected to your legs sink to the signal there ... But this is not the ideal solution not to put insulation