Thread: SATA hard disk installation on MSI motherboard shows problem

SATA hard disk installation on MSI motherboard shows problem

I am having a MSI motherboard on my desktop system which has 2 SATA ports. Recently I have bought a new SEAGATE SATA hard disk but the problem is it does not gets detected by MSI motherboard. I have tried the same thing several times on this but it is showing the same problem each time. I am running Windows XP operating system on this machine. Please help me to increase the storage space on my desktop system.

Re: SATA hard disk installation on MSI motherboard shows problem

I have seen such errors on my machine too when I was trying to install my WD hard drive on my desktop machine. But I have found the way by which you can make it working. I suggest you to use the jumper on the SATA harddisk after which you have to check that the SATA RAID utility detects the new hard drive or not. I guess it should be working there still you must first check and let me know if it shows you any error.

As you said to check running the new hard drive from the SATA RAID utility so I tried the same. WOW, MY hard drive got detected by this utility but it was having some error for me as well. It says that the disk has unadequete space for creating an Array. Now I don't know that what is an array and where it is not finding the space. And when I didn't use the jumper then hard disk was not getting detected at all.

It seems like your machine does not contain the proper hard drive driver due to which it might not be getting detected by the operating system. I suggest you to install the proper driver first and then check that it gets detected or not. I have seen such problem many time on my windows vista machine. Actually I used to share my hard drive with one of my friend when I have seen many error like this. Most of the time drivers was the one creating the problem even I have installed the same drivers last time. I don't know about its strange behavior but as my problem used to get solved, I never thought about its strange behavior.

I think you have to tweak up a little bit with the BIOS setting which might be the core of this problem. I suggest you to check in the BIOS that SATA is set to "auto" detection or not, this is needed when you connect any new hard ware with the Sata ports. When you bought a new hard drive then you must have got the bootable driver with it. You have to use that CD in order to install the drivers for your machine.

Hard drives with the SATA connectors are the new technology hard drives which uses EIDE connectors within the next few years which means that SATA port connects to one SATA hard drive so that there won’t be any need of slave configuration scheme or something like that. It is not compulsory to set any jumpers, terminators, or other settings on this drive for proper operation. The jumper block adjacent to the SATA interface connector is for factory use only.