Thread: Cooling fans keeps on running at max for Dell XPS 420

Cooling fans keeps on running at max for Dell XPS 420

Hi all, I am using the XPS 420 with a 8800GT and it has a 375W power supply BIOS A07. Last week I upgraded to 750W Corsair PSU and GTX 275 graphics card. I don’t have any problem with that. All those are running fine for but the only problem that I am having with this is with the cooling fan. Whenever I start the system, Fans keeps on running at full speed all the time and also it is creating more noise. Earlier, there was no problem like this. This is very annoying problem. Can you tell me that what is the possible reason for this? I will appreciate each and every helpful suggestion for this. Thank you very much in advance.

Re: Cooling fans keeps on running at max for Dell XPS 420

You can use the speedfan software. It is the program that can keep an eye on voltages, fan speeds and temperatures for your computer. It will also help you to show the temperature for the hard disk. If you feel that the fan speed is more than what it should be than you will be able to adjust that according to your need. But remember that it is for cooling the CPU. Reducing the speed more may also cause the problems like overheating.

Your PSU may come with the disc of software. If you have that disk then you should install that. This will help you to adjust the speed for the fans. You may also enter to the BIOS and I am sure that you will find the option for controlling the fan speed. Try these two things and see whether that helps you or not?

Have you checked the temperature for the computer? There are many cooling fans that adjust its speed according to the temperature of the system. If it is having high temperature then fan will increase the speed accordingly. There are many software available on internet that can help you to measure the temperature of the system. If your system is getting overheated then you can use cooling system to maintain the temperature. I wish that this will help you to solve the problem.

Have you checked the fan by opening the case? I am asking this to you because there may be something that is coming in the path of the fan and that is creating the noise. Just open the case and see for any such things. Adjust the things properly. Clean the fan with a soft brush and remove all the dust from it. Many of the times, I have seen that many of the problems like this get resolved after cleaning the system.

It may be problem with the BIOS that you are using. If the BIOS is corrupted or not working properly then also you may get the problems like this. My suggestion to you is to set the settings for the BIOS and see is that is solving the problem or not. If that is not solving then you can update the BIOS with the latest and this may solve the problem.