Thread: Failed Redundancy while setting up RAID mirror

Failed Redundancy while setting up RAID mirror

I have been trying to setup up a mirror RAID but every time I am failing with "Failed Redundancy". Both disks are in perfectly working condition as basic disks standalone. Even tried to re-activate, rebuild and reformat the array exclusive of any progress but couldn’t find the right result. When I checked in the device manager both disks were online and didn’t have any yellow warning sign in front of it. Only the mirror prompting me this. The disk shows in device manager are WDC WD32 00AAKS-00B3A0 SCSI Disk Device and WDC WD32 00AAKS-00B3A0 SCSI Disk Device. The both disk are SATA II with 300GB (NTFS) each.

Re: Failed Redundancy while setting up RAID mirror

It seems to me that you haven’t configured the RAID controller properly on the system motherboard. If you don’t know how to set it please contact the Motherboard manufacturer for information otherwise refer the RAID controller manual. By doing this you may lose all your data in your system and you need to start from the beginning procedure of the connection.

Are you talking about set up SOFTWARE MIRRORING (using Disk Management) in the OS or running a RAID disk (via a raid capable Disk Controller)? Make a note that Hardware RAID can be configured via Controller Firmware cannot be via Disk Management. For software mirroring the disks should be of equal capacity and there shouldn’t be any restrictions from the manufacturer.

First you need to restore the drive with the bad block. Every time you attempt rebuild the array it will fall short once it hits that block. You must not need to completely reformat however - you should be capable to take away the failed drive, replace it and partition it as needed and reconstruct the array. Make sure that to back up the data before doing anything so that you can restore it alter. There might be chance of loosing data while setting up the mirror RAID.