Thread: Compatibility in Dell A940 Printer driver and Windows 7

Compatibility in Dell A940 Printer driver and Windows 7

My father recently bought a brand new Toshiba laptop which is running with Windows 7. We already own as Dell A490 printer which we were using it for Desktop computer. Now we are looking at connection this computer to new Toshiba laptop but I don’t know whether it is compatible or not. The laptop shows that there is printer connected to it. But I will not able to install it because of its incompatible driver. How can I complete the installation now? Can I get the new compatible driver? Please help me to find the driver. Thank you in advance.

Re: Compatibility in Dell A940 Printer driver and Windows 7

You are saying that you have older versions of driver for the A940 printer. I assume that those are Vista versions. As far as I know most programs developed for Windows Vista also work in Windows 7. Only some older programs might run inadequately. If you have Vista versions driver then the only thing you have to do is shifting the compatibility settings for the program. You can either do it manually or by using Program Compatibility troubleshooter. To do this Click the Start button> Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and click Troubleshooting. Under Programs, click “Run programs made for previous versions of Windows” and follow the instructions.

If you have vista compatible drivers then you can easily install it in your computer. To do this:
    • Browse the folder where the printer software or drivers are located.
    • Find the file labeled as “Setup”.
    • Right-click “Setup”, and click “Properties”.
    • Choose the “Compatibility” tab.
    • Check the box “Run this program in compatibility mode for”
    • In drop down menu select “Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)”.
    • Click Apply and OK.
    • Again Right-click “Setup” and click “Run as administrator”.
    • Now “User Account Control” window may show, there click Yes to initiate the installation and follow the instructions.

Make sure that you have the latest windows 7 updates and the latest java installed in your laptop. For the supported the Dell940 printer driver go to the Dell support site and choose the appropriate options like model of printer, version of windows, etc. you will find the drivers if available or not. But when I see into that site I couldn’t find the result or not even choice for Windows 7. I think you will get the same. So it is a better option to use the older drivers and make it compatible to your Windows & laptop.

What version of windows 7 you are currently using? Is it the 32 bit version or 64 bit versions? The most recent search in Google shows me that he the 32 bit Vista drivers may be compatible to 32 bit Windows 7. This rule is also applies for the 64 bit versions OS. But when I looked into the Microsoft website I found that the Dell 940 is not compatible in both the 32 bit and 64 bit windows 7 computers. I think you should find any other way to make the system work.