Thread: Unable to switch to AHCI in Dell Optiplex 780

Unable to switch to AHCI in Dell Optiplex 780

I want install OS under Legacy on my Desktop PC Dell Optiplex 780 and switch effectively to AHCI. Currently I am running Windows XP service pack 3 in it. I have downloaded and tried to install Intel PreOS install drivers but no joy at all. When I try to update the drivers, it acquires concerning middle through transferring the files and BSOD. I have tried completely uninstalling the drivers and rebooted the windows. By doing this I hoped that it will ask for drivers but I didn’t even show up. What should I do to make it work? If anyone has successfully obtained the result in this please help me with some tips. I will be much appreciated for you help.

Re: Unable to switch to AHCI in Dell Optiplex 780

As you are telling that you are running Windows XP in Dell Optiplex. It seems to me that it is not possible to install or update those drives under this OS. Many have complained that they got frequent crash when doing this. I think you might somehow either update your Windows or use the Windows repair disk to change some setting. If you have an original windows XP disk run the repair. This will help you to recover if any file has been lost. After backing up those file you may able to install the drivers.

You need to follow the step by step procedure in order to install driver and switch to AHCI mode. First of all
    • Extract the contents of from latest Intel chipset driver/software file which you have downloaded for your chipset.
    • Now go to Device Manger>Hardware. There select the Intel SATA/IDE Host controller, then choose update drivers>select driver manually>have disk
    • Choose the correct path where you have extracted the Intel files into and select your chipset
    • At this time Windows XP warns you with some message and option(driver not right, do not install) But choose install anyway to continue with the installation.
    • After completing reboot the system and change to AHCI in BIOS
    • Now the XP will boot from the drives in AHCI-mode without any issue.

Many people want to switch to AHCI mode because the AHCI mode brings 3 main advantages:
    • Supports NCQ (Native Command Queuing) allowing SATA drives to acknowledge more than one command at a time and enthusiastically reorganize the commands for utmost effectiveness.
    • Supports hot plugging of devices
    • Supports spread out spin ups of numerous HDD at boot time

If you cannot switch to AHCI mode then Shutdown the computer first and get rid of SATA cable from the Intel SATA Controller. Then again plug it back into the SATA port of the JMicron controller. Make some changes in BIOS like set Jmicron to IDE, Intel SATA to AHCI, set JMicron for boot and Boot the computer to take effect. Now install the latest Intel driver for the AHCI controller that you have already downloaded. Again Turn off the computer and plug SATA cable back to Intel controller. Again make changes in BIOS and bootup the Windows. The problem will automatically get solved.