Thread: Thinkpad t410 DVD drive problem

Thinkpad t410 DVD drive problem

Hi,
    I have a Thinkpad t410 running windows 7 pro x86 and recently the DVD drive (Matshita dvd-ram uj892) has stopped showing up in my computer. I have checked the BIOS and the drive is recognised and I am also able to boot from the drive. In device manager under DVD/CD ROM drives I originally just had "CD-ROM" or something similar. I highlighted it, right clicked and uninstalled the drive thinking it would just reinstall the drive and everything would be fine. The drive did try to reinstall but failed. Device manager now shows the correct device label for the drive but has a yellow triangle with ! in it.
    As far as I am aware drivers are not needed for the drive and none exist on the Lenovo website.
    I suspect this is a problem with windows because a strange thing is happening. I installed Virtual Clone Drive but even the virtual drive does now show up in my computer and is also accompanied by a ! in device manager.
    Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Thinkpad t410 DVD drive problem

Hi, as i can see this is your very first post, i should WelCome you to Techarena forums. I would like to suggest you to please check the forum before making any new query so that there wont be any duplication, either mods can delete your post if it is duplicated.

There are many threads already made that can help you out for the said problem. Just check it out:
    Lenovo ThinkPad T410:DVD drive not working properly
    PC won't recognize DVD Drive
    DVD Drive is not recognized by Windows 7
    Lenovo T410 DVD Drive not working

First, thanks for the reply. I must admit I did not do a search first, so my apollogies for that.
    I have looked through the links you provided and have also now done a reasonable search and still find no solution that works, also remember this is causing a problem with virtual drives as well as the physical drive.
    I tried all the steps in the third link but had no joy.
    This must be a windows problem if it is also having difficulties with the virtual drive right? I've ran the system file checker but it reported no problems.
    Any further ideas?

Have you tried the firmware update for your drive which is listed over here. I would try that first. Please let me know what brand discs you are using. You may want to take a look at Osprey's Toolbox (link below) for some ideas on how to ensure you are using good quality media.

http://en.community.dell.com/wikis/d...s-toolbox.aspx
    http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19240923.aspx
    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems