Thread: External hard Drive not detected by the computer when connected by USB port

External hard Drive not detected by the computer when connected by USB port

I recently brought a external hard drive for my computer. I earlier had an external drive. On that i have recently brought a 2TB external hard drive Goflex of seagate. Earlier i had a gig free agent whose size was of 500GB. I do have both the hard drive presently. Now what i want is to transfer the files from one external hard drive to another. Now whenever i connect both the external hard drive it recognizes only one external drive in the computer. Now i want to connect both the external hard drive in the computer and i want to transfer it. My operating system is windows 7. So suggest me some steps on what can i do to move ahead.

Re: External hard Drive not detected by the computer when connected by USB port

I would suggest you to check whether the input slots that you are connecting the external drives are configured properly. The usb slots that you are using to connect the external may not be working. So that's why it is not recognizing it. Just try connecting with the other usb drives in the computer and see if it works. Mostly there are some problems in the usb slot. So just try connecting it with the other usb slot.

I would suggest you to run an windows update. Just keep updating the windows so that there is no issue regarding the windows. Also do reinstall the usb controllers and also the motherboard chip sets, also check whether the usb driver are enabled or not. If they are disabled then you can enable it by doing the following steps
    1 connect the usb storage device
    2 run serviwin
    3 click View and then driver
    4 Then scroll down to USBSTOR
    5 check for the startup type if it is manual then
    6 change the status to start
    with this you can enable the usb drive. Just ensure that these steps are checked by you and this will probably ensure that your USB port is working properly.

In addition to the steps mentioned above there are some steps that you must ensure. You must disable legacy support in BIOS. By doing this you can ensure that the usb port will start before the starting of the windows. Run an anti virus check for the various viruses and malwares in the computer. Some malware's can effect the working of the USB ports. Also the drive may also be damaged and that's why it may not be detecting in the CPU. If that is the case reformat the drive with the help of the databack up CD and then restore the data.