Thread: Computer refuses to boot after partitioning failure

Computer refuses to boot after partitioning failure

I have recently purchased a laptop which had Windows Vista already installed on it. I think this was installed by the company itself. It had two partition on it. But I didn't wanted two partition. I just wanted one single partition and so I use some free software which I have downloaded from internet, I don't remember the name of the software that I have used, and installed on my computer and then with the help of this software I combined the partition following the window which I got. According to the window, I have to restart the computer to complete the merging task and so I did the same. Here is where the problem first appeared to me. After reboot, a screen appeared showing the merging task is under progress with a bar indicating the completion of the task. It just have started the operation and I noticed that my computer rebooted all of a sudden automatically. But then nothing happened. I cannot get my Windows back any more. System doesn't boot at all. I don't know what caused the problem and so I am helpless. Do you know why my computer refuses to boot? Is it because of that partitioning failure problem or something else?

Re: Computer refuses to boot after partitioning failure

If you would have mentioned the software that you have used for partitioning then we must have explained you why you got this kind of problem. However since you don't know much about the software and since it was downloaded from internet freely then I suppose the software itself was buggy. Although there are some software on internet which are freely available and still helpful to masses but this is the fact that there are some software also which are completely craps and never recommended to anyone, atleast you know everything about it and solve if faced any problem. However, whatever may be the case I would recommend you to use Windows Vista installation disk and install the operating system once again on your computer. If you have a recovery disk then you can even use that for restoring Windows Vista on your computer. That's the only option left to you.

Yes the partitioning software do matter when it comes to increasing or decreasing the hard disk partition. Moreover, if you try to use a software which needs a restart or something to perform the task then never use it. To increase or decrease the partition size you don't require system restart. It will be done on the spot. I personally prefer EASEUS Partition Magic which is a well known among hard disk partitioning. It allows you to Resize/Move Partition, Extend System Drive, Copy Disk & Partition, Merge Partition, Split Partition, Redistribute Free Space, Convert Dynamic Disk, Partition Recovery and much more.

Thanks for the suggestions but isn't there any other solution to solve this problem. Installing Windows Vista once again is not possible because my laptop didn't came with the installation disk. It not even had recovery disk, I just got the drivers disk along with the computer and nothing else. I now understood that I should not have so hurried for the partitioning but I didn't knew that I could have faced this kind of problem. I have never came across with such kind of situation in my life. Anyways, I am now looking forward and waiting for some solution to fix this problem.

If your computer didn't had came with any recovery disk or so then I suppose you might be having a small partition on your hard drive itself which acts as the recovery disk. There are some manufacturer's who don't give a separate disk for recovery but instead they just make a small partition on your hard drive which can be used for system partitioning. To find out if you have this kind of partitioning then reboot your computer and press F9 to activate the recovery partitioning. If you have one then you should get the recovery console through which you can get your Windows Vista back as it was before.

Thanks mathews for your help, and I will surely check this out. I am right now at cyber cafe and will definitely try this option to see if I have the recovery partition on my computer. And I would also like to know how will be my Windows partition after the recovery? Will it be the same as it was with two hard disk partition or I will be having once single hard disk partition? If there will be two hard disk partition then how will I merge those partition? Is there any software recommendation which can do this and at least this time I will not be facing this kind of problem?

Yes, once you complete the procedure of recovery you will have the same setup as it was during the purchase. You will be having the same setup of two hard drive partition as it was previously. Although there are so many software, some paid while others being free or even open source, I don't prefer any of those to you. It true that most of them may result you with some or the other problem at the end. If you might not be knowing that you have an option to increase or decrease the partition size in Windows Vista. Here is how you can do that:
    • Go to Start Menu, right click on My Computer and select Manage.
    • In the Computer Management console expand Storage to open Disk Management console.
    • Now select and right click on the partition you need to increase the size and select Expand.
    • Now on the next screen you need to specify the amount that you want to increase the partition by.
    • Once done, close the Disk Management Console and reboot the computer.