Thread: Apc UPS burns up the cable wire of my computer

Apc UPS burns up the cable wire of my computer

I have a big problem with my UPS. I had brought a APC UPS RS 600va and it has gone past year. The reason i had brought this ups is due to the failure of my laptop battery. I have a Dell laptop. Now what happened was yesterday when i had connected the adapter to the ups it burned the wire cable and i saved my adapter from getting burned. No when i checked it with the meter when the ups was in the battery it showed 170V. While on the utility power it shows correct 230V. I cant figure out what's the problem behind the heating up of the cable wire. Also i want to mention that my battery does not work properly and also i have purchased another adapter its not the original one. So give me some solutions to tackle this.

Re: Apc UPS burns up the cable wire of my computer

I would suggest you to check the adapter probably the fluctuation in the voltage of the ups has caused the adapter to overheat. Since you are saying that you have lost the original adapter try getting a adapter which is original and also do check it from the ups manufacturer's that whether the ups is suitable to charge the battery of the laptop. Sometimes it happens that the laptop's battery are too sensitive and some are not meant for the laptops it is only meant for the cpu's.

There does not seems to be any immediate solution with these problem. Its practical you either have to change the battery of the laptop and get it replaced by a new set of batteries from any of the certified dell service center. Whats the need to depend on the UPS. UPS is mainly used in the places where there is a larger amount of power fluctuation. So i recommend you to either change the battery or have a talk with the ups manufacturer's because they will be able to guide you properly regarding the settings inside it. So just think over my suggestion and decide on what you have to do.

Now before checking with the your battery and laptop you must check your ups for small conditions whether it satisfies or not. The operational unit of the ups must work with the larger input voltage. On specifying this the output voltage should remain constant. Also check the operational temperature of the UPS. If you are settled at any humid countries like India you must have the operational temperature high say around 50 degrees. So check their operational temperature of the UPS. The equipment must be maintained properly it must be free of dust. It should have a efficient management system so that if any problem like power load or fluctuating in the power load, will cause the UPS to close down.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion guys .Your suggestions have helped me a lot. I had the problem located with my wire which was much thinner than the original one which caused the problem. So what i did was to replace the wire and also i replaced it with a original one. I also replaced my battery and the laptop is working fine and there is no problem of heating up of the wire. Thanks a lot for your help.