Thread: SSD (Solid State Drives) Defrag get failure

SSD (Solid State Drives) Defrag get failure

Hello I am a user of a samsung 128 Gb SSD. I did not know defragging SSD was bad, I thought defragging was useful or at least not damaging, so I carefully defragged my SSD every week, for 6 months or so.Well, after many defrags I have experienced a remarkably decrease in data access and transfer speed. Even windows 7 confirms this, Now I know I feel very upset and guilty, is there anything I be able to do to restore its original speed?

Re: SSD (Solid State Drives) Defrag get failure

I think you have to perform a Secure Erase on the drive cleaning it out as well as setting it back up to factory fresh/clean cells. As well as after that installs your OS again. Back to new. Then please for god say do not ever defrag. Your SSD should have either TRIM or several kind of Garbage Collection firmware on it that will maintain it in good shape. This will help you out.

Hey thank you for your reply. My other disquiet is if the SSD supports the TRIM aspect. I ran a HWINFO32 in addition to it says:
    Drive revision: VBM1901Q
    TRIM command: Supported (Indeterminate read after TRIM)

I don’t know what is this?
    Do I need to download another application to run the TRIM function correctly? Or does it do the whole thing on its own? As even if I defragged the drive a lot of times maybe the incredible slowdown I am experiencing is not acceptable, plus possibly this is also a TRIM problem...
    I am so confused...

The Trim command should be made possible by default on Windows 7, but if you would like to check to confirm do this:

Command prompt > fsu till behavior query disable delete notify

Disable Delete Notify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
    Disable Delete Notify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

It will TRIM on its own. Leave your system on the logon screen so it’s idle all night as well as observe if that helps performance any.

Hey if you are using dell laptop and you have installed Samsung SSD without trim then immediately make a call to Dell service center if you be able to assert warranty. I was having without trim as well as I found that it had slow down the process. I made a call to customer of Dell following making many tests, they sent me new SSD. So immediately made a call to the Dell as well as tell them that your SSD is starting to slow down, I hope they will send you another. Plus I am confident that the firmware will come soon.