Thread: Can't we use GPUs instead of CPUs for more power

Can't we use GPUs instead of CPUs for more power

I have read it somewhere that GPU can really perform faster then that of CPUs so I would like to ask you guys that will it be better to use the GPUs instead of using CPUs for having more powerful PC? First of all, Is it possible to use the GPU as a main CPU so that your machine can work more faster. Is there anybody who have done any such processor tweaking?

Re: Can't we use GPUs instead of CPUs for more power

Intel and NVIDIA are competing in the market for graphics cards, because the father of the Pentium is about to launch Larrabee, is something that we fully understand. However, today the two companies are fighting and attacked one of the GPU with the other CPU. If you think that comparing a GPU and a CPU is like comparing oranges and zucchini, you're right. Nevertheless, the problem to begin, during a presentation, said that a Core i7 920 improves performance in games by 80%. Mean by that is choose between the update of its CPU or its GPU.

Finally, the Chameleon says update its GPU is more efficient than its CPU upgrade for a player. Thus, the firm took two configurations. The first is equipped with a Core i7 965, 4 GB of RAM, an X58 motherboard and a single GeForce GTS 250. It costs $ 1,501 (without power supply, keyboard, casing, screen, etc..). The second features an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, nForce 750i motherboard, 4GB of RAM and two GeForce GTS 250 in SLI, all for $ 790. NVIDIA then made under various sets benchmarks measuring performance with a Core 2 Duo E8400 and a single GeForce GTS 250, then measured the evolution with a better processor (Core i7 platform), and with the Core 2 Duo but two GPUs in SLI. Finally, you earn more with a second GPU and CPU with a new update is cheaper

I believe once again that comparing a GPU and a CPU is a false debate. Each chip to use very specific and necessary for the proper functioning of a computer and generally, a user knows whether to change its processor because the machine is obsolete (often means a new processor, but not always, a new map mother and possibly new RAM) or whether to just buy a second graphics card to improve the gameplay. Be careful though, games should be optimized for SLI or CrossFire (for two ATI cards) so that there is a real performance gain.

It's just that the task performed by your GPU is completely different than that performed by your CPU ! It seems that NVIDIA had to work to make possible the discharge of the task CPU to the GPU when not active, but without success. The technical reason I do not know but the fact is that it is not feasible or too costly to implement for the average mortal for the project have been completed by the manufacturer are under!