Thread: Lenovo X200 new battery is not charging fully

Lenovo X200 new battery is not charging fully

Few days ago my father brought me a brand new Lenovo Thinkpad X200. When it is first come to my house, I received it as an empty with battery power usually 0%. I read the instructions manual came along with it and it has written that I should do the first recharge till 12 hours. As mentioned in manually I recharged it about 12 hours, and then I turned it on. I found some variation in battery recharge capacity. The battery indicator in laptop shows only 99% completed and it won’t ride up further if I recharged it two more hours. I saw in other laptops and they are showing 100% properly. Then why is it in my laptop? Is it already configured by the manufacturer or by the issue of laptop itself? Please tell me the reason and solution for this kind of behavior.
    Last edited by Valdis; 26-11-2010 at 12:00 PM.

Re: Lenovo X200 new battery id not charging fully

What kind of batter included in your laptop? Is it the 4 cell battery or the 6 cell battery? What is your current operating system? Is there any feature called power saver and performance mode enabled on your computer. These all factors will affect the behavior of the battery. The battery indicator is handled by the OS itself. So I can say that it must be the behavior of the OS not the battery.

Re: Lenovo X200 new battery is not charging fully

You are telling that you have recently got the X200 laptop without breaking the pack. So it must include a new battery without any charge on it. There is main thing in those new batteries that they must be calibrated or adjusted manually. Without this it may read like 99%. As I know there must be some kind of configuration in power manger in your OS, so that you can calibrate your battery.

Before going for further action make sure that your battery charge meter or indicator is stuck at same position or not. If it is correct then I think you will need to work on threshold settings first. I think that this setting is available in ThinkVantage power management program. If don’t have this program then download and install it in your laptop.

It seems to be that the manufacturer has done this setting for purpose. Otherwise the battery itself unable to charge completely. You can check the BIOS for any power management issues. What will the OS will display once it comes to 99%? Is it showing that the battery is full? If the system is not showing anything then you must re-install the OS once again. Incorrect installation could cause this kind of act. Better to try other version of OS if necessary.

Have you tried using other battery of same model? Does it show proper value on meter? If the battery is not properly matching with the Laptop then you can face this kind of issue. I think that the manufacturer might have put the wrong model battery into your laptop package and you did not recognize it yet. There may be some default setting that have been already configured or attached to either your laptop or for battery itself from the manufacturer. That’s why it is not charging to 100%.