Thread: Need to configure Raid 5 On my system.

Need to configure Raid 5 On my system.

I have decided to configure Raid 5 on my system. Actually it suggested by some of the friends of mine to use it. But the thing is that i really don't know what it Raid 5 is and how does it work. So is there is anyone who can let me know what is Raid 5 and also the working of the same. And i also want to know hoe to configure it on my system which is having a 64 bit windows 7. Please help me in this case.

Re: Need to configure Raid 5 On my system.

I think you are not aware with the hard disk combining functionality. The thing here is that it is now possible to combine two or more hard disk for a system and it is due to the Raid technology. Raid 5 is nothing but one of the level of Raid, it enables you to strip the data distributed across different members. I guess you must be running a office or a firm where there are number of users accessing the data because the Raid is used for the same only. And if you are trying to set up the Raid 5 for your office system then it is the best you can do. Raid 5 provides you low cost of redundancy and also the storage area is increased by numbers.

According to me you are on the wrong track because normally raid 5 is used on the servers. And if you are trying to use the same on the desktop of yours then it is of no use. Because I don’t think that you will need this much space for your single system data. I think you have to go with the Raid 1 or Raid 2 since they will save your money and also will provide you fantastic and large amount of memory space. The data transmission rate of the same is very good. And in comparison to the others Raid 5 is slowest of all. I think you will understand what I am trying to say.

What is the need for Raid 5 if you are using single system, I mean to say that you can manage the hard disk of yours by the disk management utility of windows. The thing here is that Raid5 is normally used on servers and you don’t try to buy it just does the following thing:
    Using Disk Management
    To start Disk Management:
    • Log on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
    • Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    • Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-clickComputer Management. In the console tree, click Disk Management.
    • You can also click Start, point to Run, type diskmgmt.msc, and then click OK.

In Disk Management, the computer's disks and volumes are displayed in a graphical view and in a list view. By default, the local computer's disks are displayed; however, if you have the required permissions, you can perform this process on remote computer.To customize the view of the disks and the volumes in the upper and the lower panes of the window, click View, point to Top or to Bottom, and then click the view that you want.