Thread: Lenovo X301 TouchPad right and left click is not working

Lenovo X301 TouchPad right and left click is not working

I have been using a Leno X301 since it came to market. Till yesterday I didn’t have any issue on my thinkpad. I don’t know what happened when I turn on the laptop this morning. I am now getting some problem with its built in touch pad and left/right click. As I can say I am having problem with entire pointing device on X301. Suddenly it stops working without any error. I tried several settings inside mouse and touchpad propertied using control panel, but no use. I don’t know what is affecting it. Anyhow I want to get rid of this issue as early as possible. Please help me with this.

Re: Lenovo X301 TouchPad right and left click is not working

As you may know that there are 2 kinds of touchpad for X301 and they are Synaptics and the ALPS. You need to find out what is your touchpad in this. As I think the X301 uses ALPS touchpad along with its own drivers. You might have changed the driver and the laptop doesn’t able to find out what model of its touchpad. Have tried roll backing the driver? If this won’t help you then re-install the driver once again. If any third party application is installed on your system without your knowledge (such as when using internet), then it also effect the touchpad operation.

If you are using windows OS then go to the device manger using control panel or by going through MY computer icon>right click > properties > Hardware > device manager. There browse through mouse and see whether the drivers are up to date or not. Check also for yellow exclamation mark. If there is any Exclamation mark then you better look forward for new drivers either Synoptics or ALPS depending on the touch Model. If this thing doesn’t work then use the canned air to clean the touchpad and also their buttons. This is because something might have stuck under touchpad or buttons.

If the buttons are not working in touchpad then swap those buttons. What I mean is go to mouse or touchpad settings or properties and there make the changes to both the buttons like right will work left click and vice versa. I hope that somehow this setting will help you. If this technique doesn’t going to work then try a system restore if you have already created any restore points. If any changes has occurred in previous day this restore will help you to come back to the original or default settings.

Run the system in Safe mode so that it can solve the issues automatically if it is regarding to the OS. If the OS itself is causing touchpad buttons then you might have to change the OS or upgrade it as soon as possible. Make sure that your OS is up to date and it is matching the touchpad drivers. Otherwise either you have to change the OS or touchpad drivers. Have you shown it to any hardware service retailers? You cannot easily notice if there is wrong with its corresponding hardware or components. You will need to remove its case and check the touchpad connector and system connector manually.

If you have an external mouse then connect it either USB or the mouse port and see whether it is working or not. If it is working then it is probably be the touchpad hardware issue. If you know how to remove the front case of the laptop where keypad and touchpad left then remove it gently. I think that there are only 4 screws that are attached to the touchpad. Remove those screws first and unplug the connector from it. Use a compressed air can to remove the duct from the keypad and also in the connector. Fix it properly as it was before. Restart the computer and see for affect.