Thread: Question related to Lenovo T410 Ultrabay hard disk

Question related to Lenovo T410 Ultrabay hard disk

I have Lenovo T410 laptop. I have recently replaced my original hard drive with an SSD. I connected my original hard disk to the Ultrabay adapter. As soon as I power up the computer, the original drive spins, lights on but all of a sudden it turns off. I think this drive is not detect in the BIOS. I tried to find some drivers or something which I may be missing due to which I was having this problem but I didn't find anything. I suppose this is happening because of the Ultrabay in which I have installed the drive.

Re: Question related to Lenovo T410 Ultrabay hard disk

But why are you using Ultrabay for your original hard disk? Can't you use some real parts or bay which will help you to utilize your original hard drive? You must not have something like which converts a regular SATA connector to an Ultrabay SATA connector but the soldering do affects over here. Although there is no such device which allows you to use your new SATA drive with your current laptop having IDE connection but the Ultrabay connection will not work because of the loose connection.

I think the ultrabay adapter is perfectly fine. But I suppose you should look at the connector if there isn't any damages. Make sure you don't have cracks in the plastic and contacts are perfectly fine. You can even relate it with the optical drive to ensure that the connectors are perfectly in the position. If possible try to use some different wire and then see if it works.

I have checked the connectors and cables and everything seems to be proper. I have checked the pins and all are perfectly ok. There is no cracks in the plastic. I have recently purchased another bay but the same problem persists with led flashing for a moment and then it goes and nothing happens. No detection of hard drive in the BIOS. Moreover, I contacted Lenovo then they says that there is no Ultrabay adapter for the ThinkPad T410. What can I do now?

Go to Power Manager, Advanced View and click on the Power Plan tab. Expand System Settings dropdown. Place the DVD inside the Ultrabay and change the settings of Automatic Optical Drive Power Off to ‘Enabled’ on AC and Battery. After few minutes in idle condition, the DVD drive will be powered off and a new icon will appear in My Computer. Make a new shortcut from My Computer since the DVD drive was removed. Now install your ThinkPad T410 Ultrabay HDD adapter and double click on the shortcut created just now. It will turn on your Ultrabay. If you don't want to use it then you can click on ‘Safely Remove Drive’ to turn it off.