Thread: Problem with internal microphone on Lenovo T400

Problem with internal microphone on Lenovo T400

I have facing problem with internal microphone on my Lenovo Thinkpad T400 laptop. I am unable to use this laptop on any VOIP devices. I have upgraded to the latest driver but still the problem doesn't disappears. I have forced to use my external headphone to get into conversation. I would also like to tell you that my system came with Windows Vista installation but I have downgraded it to Windows XP because of a lot of compatibility issues. Its not just the microphone that is giving me the problem, but also when I try to play any music I am unable to have the clear voice of the playback singer. Is there some serious problem with my laptop?

Re: Problem with internal microphone on Lenovo T400

I think you have to reinstall the audio driver and see if that helps. I am assuming the driver which you are running right now is the same which you got on the disc when you purchased the laptop. So it is compatible with Windows Vista only and will not with Windows XP. You have to install the driver which is compatible with your current version of operating system in order to use it fruitfully. Before installing the newer driver, make sure you have to uninstall the current version of driver from your computer completely and then you have to reinstall it.

Can you see some yellow exclamation marks on your Device Manager? Go to Windows Desktop, right click on My Computer and click on Manage. On the left panel, click on Device Manager and see if you have any exclamation marks. If it is on some PCI Controller then there is where you are having the problem. You need to install the audio driver in order to solve the problem of internal microphone as well as the speaker. To download and install the audio drivers visit Lenovo website and see if it works. You may be asked to restart your computer for the installation to complete.

Is it just that you are unable to use the microphone or you have also noticed something strange somewhere like pointed out as before. May be you should check if the microphone isn't muted. To check this go to Start - Control Panel - Speaker. You will have some settings which are related to the microphone that you have to adjust as per your requirement. Apart from that also go to the Control Panel, Sounds and Audio devices, and click on Voice tab. Click on the volume button under Voice Recording part.

Thanks everyone for their useful tips but nothing fixes my problem. I have checked the settings and even altered them to ensure if that helps but nothing fixes my problem. Later on I even tried install the latest driver and of course the compatible one but that too didn't helped either. I don't think apart from my sound system there is something wrong with my laptop. Their is no solution to my problem, isn't it? I think the only alternative left to me is use external device.

No, you can still have a better solution to your problem if you want. You can still take the laptop to Lenovo support team to give it a try. They will surely look into the matter. It doesn't matter if your laptop is under warranty or not, its their responsibility to put some solution in front of you. If it is in warranty then they will do it for you free of charge and if not then they tell you the charges incurred in this. Whatever may be the case, you will have some solution. If you like it then you make you decision, and if not then you can stick with the one you have chosen before.