Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 23-11-2010

Blu-Ray Playback problem on Toshiba

I just purchase a Toshiba satellite P505-S8980 laptops. It does play back Netflick, Hulu and others very well. It decline to play Blu-Ray anywhere besides its own display. When it is linked to my Television with HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) I get a notice that "Your present configuration does not permit to protected content playback" I have a straight catch up from the computer system to a fresh 2010 Samsung 52 inches LCD. I am not a regular computer user I am a home entertainment bore so I have tried a lot of solutions and so far not anything works. Please help me.
Old 23-11-2010

Re: Blu-Ray Playback problem on Toshiba

FIRMWARE WARS – if you are making BD-R’s for yourself or for your customers, it a good idea to get to know the more popular Blu-ray players. WHY? Most of the older Blu-ray players need a firmware update to play BD-R or BD-RE. WHY? I’ve heard arguments ranging from constant changing of the Blu-ray spec to copyright issues. Either way it will affect all of us at some point that are burning Blu-ray video from desktop applications like Adobe Encore.
It really does not make a difference when you purchased the player – If your BD-R or BD-RE disc will not play after you’ve burned it and the firmware has not been updated, then you more than likely need to do a firmware update. I have provided a few links to get you started but I highly suggest doing a “Google” on your Blu-ray player model. Try searching for something like “Panasonic DMP-BD30 Firmware”. You will see a ton of posts ranging from links to download the firmware (always look for the manufactures site first) to issues with the current firmware.
Making a firmware disc is fairly straightforward. Most require you to download the file and burn it to a CD-R. When you load the CD-R in the player, it will read the file and ask you confirm the update. Make sure you READ FIRST double-checking the country/region of the firmware.
I mainly use a Sony Playstation 3 for testing projects. The Playstation 3 is currently the cheapest Blu-ray player with an Ethernet port. This really makes it simple for updating firmware via the web. The PS3 seems to get a new firmware update about every 8 weeks or so. The most recent update gave us new BD-Live support that allows access the web from the video or menu for additional content. This may not be a huge feature now but will surely be large part of things to come.
I also use a Panasonic DMP-BD30 for testing and have had excellent results. The new 1.6 firmware offers faster load times. Note ** Sony and Samsung were shipping me test units over a year ago but they are yet to show up. We do have several early Sony and Samsung models in the Encore lab– Some of these models had serious issues early on but were fixed with Firmware updates.
Again – do your research. If you are making Blu-ray discs for sale, make sure to tell your customer that they may need a firmware update to play your BD-R or BD-RE discs.
Hopefully with newer models coming out now, the BR players will work more like standard DVD players as far as playing burned media.
If your player is playing your burned media OK – then DON’T UPDATE to newer firmware without doing a web search first. If it plays your BD-R media then leave it alone. See my comments below on the Playstation 3 2.3 firmware update.
Old 23-11-2010

I consider you must go for the installation of the latest video drivers. Reboot your system I and now check whether it is working or not. I think that you will not face this problem again after doing this on your Toshiba satellite P505-S8980 laptops. I have tried doing this on my laptop I hope this will work on your system.
Old 23-11-2010

I had this similar kind of problem when I first bought the Toshiba satellite s8980 laptops. I then learned from Toshiba support that the second level after a thirty minute trial and error experience to may try to do this FN key + F5 key. Toggle from side to side until "HDMI" (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is chosen. The laptop will go dark and the LCD HDTV (High-Definition television) should then do something as the monitor for the laptop.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Tags: , , , ,