Thread: MBR restoration on Satellite A505

MBR restoration on Satellite A505

I am having Satellite A505 laptop with Microsoft windows XP operating system installed on it. I wanted to restore MBR on my Satellite A505 but when trying to boot the system from the recovery CD it fails displaying an error message. Is there any way to restore MBR and also specify the steps which will help me in the restoration of MBR.

Re: MBR restoration on Satellite A505

MBR is referred to as Master Boot Record on windows operating system platform. The Master Boot Record points to PC to place operating system files. Your system will not boot if the Master Boot Record is corrupted or damaged. You can use command on Microsoft Recovery Console to recover MBR. This command is able to restore Master Boot Record of windows and enables booting the system. For restoring Master Boot Record you will require a windows operating system CD.

Below are the steps to restore MBR.
    1. Insert the CD into the CD drive and turn on the computer.
    2. When the system ask to press any key to boot from CD then press R to get into the recovery console.
    3. You need to type the operating system number. Mostly systems have one operating system i.e. type and press enter.
    4. When the system asks for password, then type the password to continue further. In the case of administrator you don’t have to enter any password.
    5. The MSDOS prompt will display C:\Windows>.
    6. Type “fixmbr” and press the enter key. After pressing enter key recovery console will start to repair MBR.
    7. To close the recovery console you need to type exit command and press the enter key.
    8. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to reboot your computer system. Now windows XP will start to function properly if MBR partition was repaired.

You can use Norton Partition Magic BootMagic disk to repair MBR. In order to use Norton Partition Magic BootMagic disk to restore or repair MBR you need to follow the instructions given below:
    • Norton Partition Magic BootMagic disk was created when you first installed this disk on your operating system platform. Duplicate copy of your MBR will be already located on this disc.
    • Insert the Norton Partition Magic BootMagic disk. Restart your system. After the system restarts press the R key. A window of PartitionMagic recovery will appear. There might be more than one operating system installed on your system. Now from that click on the list for which you want to repair or restore master boot record. If you have password to your operating system then in that case you need to provide password so that the operating system starts. In the input screen type “FIXMBR” and then press Y from the keyboard to confirm that you want to restore Master Boot Record.
    • Click on exit and now the Norton boot magic will start to repair and restore master boot record. From the inserted CD and it will also fix the errors. After finishing it restart the system and your MBR will be restored.

I am having two operating system installed on my desktop. With the above solutions given, I have successfully restored by master boot record and also fixed some errors related to windows platform. After applying the above solution my system works fine and the performance of my system has improved. I want to restore MBR on windows 7 platform to multiboot options. Also give me the steps to perform multiboot option.

Whenever you are installing windows 7 operating system, the master boot record gets overwritten. This is the nature of windows that doesn’t recognize windows 7 boot loader. You can resolve this problem by repairing the MBR. To repair MBR you need to follow the below steps.
    1. Insert the windows 7 CD into the CD drive and open the command prompt window.
    2. Run the below command
    3. X:\boot\ bootsect.exe /nt60 all where letter X is the name of the CD drive.
    4. Restart your system and windows 7 menu will get opened. Open the command prompt and type
    5. bcdedit /create {ntldr} –d “GIVE A TITLE”
    6. you need to provide a title in the “GIVE A TITLE” label.
    7. Now next time when you restart your system you will get a multiboot option with the title specified by you.