Thread: Headphones cannot mute speakers

Headphones cannot mute speakers

This is happening from last one month and still I am not getting the solution for that. I am using the Satellite T135. There is no problem with the sound on my laptop but when I connect the headphone then it cannot mute the speaker volume. Normally if anyone connects the headphone then the inbuilt speakers should be muted. My system is not able to detect the plug in totally. I have to mute the speakers manually. Please tell me that why this is happening to me? Also any possible solution for this. Thank you very much.

Re: Headphones cannot mute speakers

It is very easy to fix this problem. I found this solution from the another Toshiba support forum. I am using L550 and this worked for me. So here are the steps that you can try:
    1. First of all, go to the control panel.
    2. Click the "Realtek HD Audio manager".
    3. You will see a yellow folder which has the blue shaded part. This is the "Connector settings". Click on that.
    4. Click on "Enable auto popup dialogue box".
    5. After all that, click on the OK button.
    6. Connect your headphone to the laptop.
    7. This will come with a pop up. You have to select the item plugged in from there and not the line out.

This worked for me and I am quite sure that this will do the same for you.

You can try the above posted solution and see whether that is helping you or not? If that does not help you then You can try one more thing that I am going to tell and see whether that is solving the problem for you or not. First of all you have to go to CONTROL PANEL -> HARDWARE & SOUND -> SMARTAUDIO. You will see two options in SmartAudio that is CLASSIC and MULTI-STREAM. You have to select CLASSIC from that and that is all. This may solve the issue. Good Luck

I think that is a hardware issue. The cord for the headphone is not providing the proper connection to headphone and that is why it is not able to mute the audio. Have you checked your headphone to any other computer? I think that you should take that to any computer repairing store and ask them to change the slot for the headphone. This may solve the issue.

It may be related to the sound card driver in your system. If the sound card driver is corrupted for your system then you also you may get the same error like you are getting now. You should check for the latest driver available on the manufacturer site. Download that to your computer and install it. I was also having the similar problem as you are getting and I did the same as I told and it solves the issue for me. You should also give it a try.

Have you got any installation CD along with the headphone? If you got any then you should install that CD first and after that insert the headphone to your laptop. That CD may contain some software that may be helping the system to do this. So just try this and see whether it solves the issue or not.