Thread: Cannot recognize Verbatim External Hard Drive

Cannot recognize Verbatim External Hard Drive

Guys, I like to collect the movies and to store them I have a Verbatim 300GB External Hard Drive. I am using this from about 6 months and it does not show any problem with that. Last night I saved 2 movies in that and it gets copied without any issue. But today when I am trying to connect that to watch movies then it is not able to get connected. My laptop is not recognizing that. When I connect that then I can hear the sound like it usually give but it cannot be shown in my computer. I can see the light on the device like it is connected and running usually.

I have restarted my computer many time but got the same result. I also checked the device manager but it is also not viewable there. Can you tell me whether the problem is with the hard drive or my operating system? Every suggestion will be appreciative.

Re: Cannot recognize Verbatim External Hard Drive

Have you checked the USB cable that you are using to connect the hard drive to your laptop? I think that the cable that you are using for the connection is corrupted and that is why you are not getting a proper connection to the hard drive. Just replace the cable with the new one and this will solve the issue for you. You will get this cable easily anywhere in any computer hardware shop and this will also not cost much.

If you want to check whether the problem is with the hard drive that you are using or with the laptop operating system then you can simply try to connect the hard drive to any other computer or if possible then you can connect any other hard drive to your laptop and see whether it get connected or not. If it is getting connected then this will confirm that the problem is with the hard drive that you are trying to connect and this will help you to find the solution more easily.

It may be the problem with the USB driver that is installed in your computer. To fix this issue, you should try to uninstall the driver and reboot your system. After reboot, it will automatically detect the USB driver and install the appropriate driver for this. Now try to connect the device again and see whether it is getting connected or not? If you found that the problem still persists then you can search for the latest driver on internet. Download and install that to your computer and this will solve the issue for you.

OK, you can try the following solution:
    1. First of all, you have to right click on My Computer and select the properties > hardware > Device Manager.
    2. There you will find the Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
    3. Uninstall USB controllers, USB Composite Device and USB Root Hub.
    4. Reboot your system and let it detect the new devices and update the driver for them.
    5. Now connect the hard drive again.

It is recommended to take the back up of the system before trying these steps.