Thread: How to recover Time-Limited Error from Western Digital hard drive

How to recover Time-Limited Error from Western Digital hard drive

I have been using two of the western digital hard drive and they are configured in a 2.0 TB (1.5 TB usable) array on silicon image 3114 PCI SATA-I 150 MB/S raid 0,1 onboard regulator with firmware 5.4.03. But recently faced problem with one of the drive in which I had my most of the data and the array was destroyed and the cause was timing out too lengthy while performing error recovery on a bad sector because of which the other drive was lost. No utilities in the silicon image were able to provide restore the array from the other drive and the problem is still not resolved so if anyone have solution regarding this please let me know.
    Last edited by Kynan; 20-11-2010 at 06:49 PM.

Re: How to recover Time-Limited Error from Western Digital hard drive

You can perform mentioned solution that might resolve you problem. Take your hard drive off the despicable silicon image organizer and perform an nvidia raid1 (mirror) array with 2 x 500 GB and then use the other drive for exterior storage for on-site and off-site storage drives. After that reboot the system and re-add the drive to the array, I don’t think there should be again such error status. Yes the issue for this error is indeed because of Time-Limited Error Recovery functionality on the Western Digital RE models

There is WDTLER utility that works from a DOS boot disk you can use it, you need to just use this utility to enable Time Limited Error Recovery on your drive. It will prevent your drive from timing out too long through error recovery on my RAID1 arrays. I think this will really help you resolve your problem with Time-Limited Error Recovery. Let me know if your problem is resolved after this utility which helped me to resolve similar issue.

The Hard drives are made for servers that are designed with the postulation there is a RAID controller present and various synchronization of error management must happen. Western Digital provide with this by matched error management in the form of “Time Limited Error Recovery” (TLER). TLER proficient hard drives perform the usual error recovery and after few seconds, the drive will deliver an error message to the RAID controller and the drive will defer the error recovery job until some time. Because of the synchronized error handling, the hard drive is not dropped from the RAID array, which evading the whole RAID recovery, substitute, rebuild, and return practice.

The error treatment is additional coordinated between the TLER-capable hard drive and the RAID card. The TLER-capable drive will react exclusive of waiting for the fault to be determined. RAID cards are extremely capable of managing this with a mixture of parity defense and journaling. The RAID card streamers the error in the error log and will carry on carrying data using parity guard until the drive retries its individual error recovery and corrects the error. TLER progresses up-time and decreases hard drive error recovery fight by restrictive the time the drive waste in error recovery and letting RAID adapters to correctly execute their intentional function. This offers improved performance, improved accessibility and minor total cost of possession in RAID arrays.