Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 20-11-2010

Does RAID5 is safe with Five 2TB Hard Drives or not

I am new on the way to the hard drive field as well as RAID 5.I presently setup a SansDigital TR5UT by means of five 2TB hard drives. The use of this setup is on the way to backup my album of movie DVDsI think that I was set by means of RAID5 however at the moment subsequent to reading a number of more on it I am anxious that it may not be the most excellent method on the way to do it. From what I understand yet if you be unable to find only 1 hard drive there may possibly at a standstill be an error on one of the extra drives which will build the whole array not viable.As a result at this point I am in doubt if I should presently do the clean mode or else JBOD where each one hard drive shows up individually by means of no RAID.I think that I could backup as well by means of another set of drives? Thank you in advance for any help.
Old 20-11-2010

Re: Does RAID5 is safe with Five 2TB Hard Drives or not

I would say that RAID 5 is safe furthermore RAID 6 is safer. RAID by means of no other backups of your data is ineffective as well as not safe. RAID5 be able to survive a single drive failure. On the other hand, once you restore that drive, it needs to be initialized. Depending on the controller as well as certain other things, this be able to get anyplace from 5-18 hours. For the duration of this time, each and every one drives will be in stable make use of on the way to re-create the failed drive. It is for the period of this time that public is anxious that the reconstruct would source to one more drive near death on the way to die, which will cause a complete array failure. Doing a JBOD may be okay if you have backups. In my opinion I would extreme dislike on the way to have to re-rip as well as re-encode 2TB of movies if I misplaced a single drive. Dragging them from backup may be to some extent not as much of time consuming.
Old 20-11-2010

I imagine for 5 drives, RAID5 is superior. It is unusual so as you will have two drive fail at the same occasion. I am doing RAID6 by means of 8 drives.
RAID is completely superior as compare to no raid in view of the fact that you do not lose any data if one drive fails. However RAID does not restore backups. I as well have a WHS system at present 12TB intended for backing up my essential stuff. As a result my stuff exists in both the RAID6 as well as WHS.
Old 20-11-2010

Each and every one of these difference have been approximately for fairly some time.I keep in mind setting up a RAID 5 array on a Compaq Proliant 1000 several 15 years before by means of a Compaq Smart Array Controller as well as installing Banyan Vines on top of it. This is the my first familiarity by means of an enterprise level server.
Old 20-11-2010

Several outmoded raid that the majority fits your requirements is very well as long as you have superior backups. Raid5 is a pleasant equilibrium between performance as well as redundancy. At the same time as for the size, I discover that this is a pretty bad number avoidance however each and every one hard drive manufacturers do it. At what time they state 1TB, what they actually indicate is 1,000,000,000,000 bytes however 1TB is in fact 1,099,511,627,776 bytes. As a result a 2TB drive is regarding 1.8TB as well as not 2TB. This shows still extra at what time you acquire into multi 2TB systems.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Tags: , , , ,