Thread: AM2+ vs AM3 sockets

AM2+ vs AM3 sockets

Hi all I am looking at a couple of different CPUs here each and every one AMD Phenom II X4.
    First one:
    AM2+ socket
    3.0Ghz operating frequency
    3600Mhz hypertransport
    furthermore the other is
    AM3 socket
    2.6 Ghz. operating frequency
    4000Mhz hypertransport
    I would like to know which one is the superior one, as well as why? They are priced at pretty to a great extent the equal, however I'm in doubt if they in fact are the same or else if somebody is trying on the way to gouge for the reason that the socket type is AM3 on the second one. Thanks in advance for any suggestion regarding this issue.

Re: AM2+ vs AM3 sockets

As per my knowledge the first CPU you mentioned AM2+ socket would be quicker, HT speed does not have an extremely large impact on performance at the same time as clockspeed does. The just "benefit" of AM3 is the capability on the way to make use of DDR3 memory, which is characteristically more expensive as compare to DDR2. AM3 CPUs work in AM2+ mobos despite the fact that AM2+ CPUs will not work in AM3 mobos.

There will be no dissimilarity in performance between the 940 BE as well as 955 BE except you run them stock. The 955 BE is 200 Mhz quicker stock however overclocks each bit the similar speed at the same time as the 940 be. Your board make use of DDR 2 1066 5 5 5 15 as well as will run all 4 dimms at them speeds faultless. I advise the 940 BE as well as 8 gig of DDR 2 1066 5 5 5 15 Gskill.With no trouble clock the 940 BE on the way to 3.5 Ghz to 3.7 Ghz as well as be one blissful camper. as well maintain in mind this board at what time flashed on the way to bios 1.5 will run ALL known AM2+ as well as AM3 CPU,s. There is no AM2 + AM3 CPU this board will not run.

The processor you have pay for is in reality Athlon II X3 430, not Athlon X3. Which is an AM3 supported processor as well as each and every one AM3 processors are backward compatible by means of AM2+ socket. As a result you be able to plug the processor in your motherboard without any problem. One thing, you may possibly require a BIOS update of the motherboard intended for detecting the AM3 processors, if most recent BIOS is not present in the mobo.

Thank you for your suggestion. I have purchase a Biostar TA785GE mobo
    I as well have an AMD Athlon X3 440.The mobo encompass an AM2+ socket at the same time as the Processor has an AM3 socket.Can I fit the processor onto the mobo? Please reply as soon as possible.

As a result depending on what you required, it depends on at what time you be supposed to spring for the chip. For myself, I'm waiting for the Heka cores X3 for the reason that they will overclock superior, match the TDP of my board, as well as I don't still be concerned regarding the difference in ram at this point. I'll almost certainly acquire a new board in a year or so. Subsequently it all depends on what you desire toward do with the build.In the beginning, it doesn't appear similar to AM3 will carry some faster clocked chips on the way to the table, as a result the 940 BE may be an improved choice. On the other hand, if down the line, you desire to upgrade on the way to route for a new mobo, after that the 940 almost certainly won’t be compatible, in view of the fact that AM3 boards won’t recognize AM2+ chips.

I would almost certainly wait, however presently on the way to see if there is a enhanced alternative, seeing how it’s just a few days till , as a result at most it will be a month previous to you know if you desire the AM3 chip, or else a 940 BE.As well as presently to share some info, the ACC feature that made the SB750 overclock the phenoms thus much improved, is in fact built into the chip at the moment, as a result you don't require the 790 boards to get a nice overclock. Which is great news for people like me.